The new Rope Wrench ZK-2 ... What's the deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802climber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any comments on the new Rope Wrench "Zk2"? Now made by ISC!

Sure makes me feel like a sucker for buying the first one!!

But the first one is stamped "Made in Detroit", that has to be worth something. Just order one of the new stiff tethers, probably the biggest improvement of the original design.

Yeah, what are the differences?

All I can tell is fancier looking, midline attachable and comes with that "stiffy" tether

Yeah, what are the differences?

All I can tell is fancier looking, midline attachable and comes with that "stiffy" tether

ZK-1 was also mid-line attachable (with the added pin) so you are really left with the looks and the tether, and the tether you can buy separately leaving you now to pretty much the looks. It is pretty though. (actually there is the pulley as well that does make it smother and it is smaller, lighter and more compact.) All part of the pretty I think.

Last edited:

I like it. I don't feel like a sucker, I just am one, it's not so bad. :yoyo:

attachment.php

attachment.php

[video=youtube;q5Fo6IatlWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Fo6IatlWY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

View attachment 255568View attachment 255569

Clipping in is not so bad, I have a chest ascender for my training wheels. newsawtooth gave me some great suggestions yesterday and they work well. I did add the Croll ascender to my setup as it only weighs a few ounces, clips in and out quickly and makes me feel safer at my level. Today I climbed thru some thick undergrowth and I was glad I had it as I was able to stop often and move the branches out of the way, and proceed without fear that they would tangle my hitch.

I have a couple of other photos and videos of the set up on the 101 side.

I gotta get better pants though, my jeans keep hanging up in my foot ascender.

[video=youtube;w5M5MjXnvlo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5M5MjXnvlo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

Had a couple more thoughts on the set up.
I went to a local office store and purchased an ID lanyard, cut out what I needed, made a loop with a Beer Knot and attached it to the Stiffy tether with a girth hitch and a little silicon to keep it from moving around. When I was using the WR without the chest harness, I would clip directly to the tether but it moved around a little and I did not feel very comfortable with that as it is so important not to let anything interfere with the wrench. Now I clip into this loop and everything stays where it should be. I think if I were to do it again, I might make the loop a little smaller, but so far it works well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I feel ya! Paid $150 for ZK-1 and pin! Now for $25 less I could have ordered the newer, prettier version. The pin I paid 19.95 for are now 4.95? Gotta love shiny and new! I still love the tool but will either buy new stiffy tether or try the heat shrink which I haven't a clue. Ian Flatters is testing a metal tether I believe which will soon be the way to go. :)

Latest posts

Back