The New Stihl 441(pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is suppose to be out at the latter part of June '06. Stihl says they have heard nothing of a new 661, ya right!!! They are copying Husqvarna with the new filtration system and by going to springs for the anti-vib set up instead of the rubber. HMMMMMM......

The 441 and Husky 575, are heavier than the saws they are replacing. (Assuming the 440 is discontinued) That's a shame, as the 044 is such an awesome light package....It would be a feather in Stihl's cap if they could come out with another light, powerful winner like the 361.

Seth, the 650 is still listed....http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/comparison.html

Last edited:
rbtree said:
... It would be a feather in Stihl's cap if they could come out with another light, powerful winner like the 361.
Sadly, that is not what is happening with the 441.:(

They went a couple of "bridges" too far, and ended up with a heavyweight, like Husky did with the 575xp. :buttkick:

Cut4fun said:
.... What did they do go to Husky and Dolmar style AV finally. Looks like it went to Husky pre filter system too. ...
That is the good parts of the design, it seems.

The not-so-good parts are the engine and crankcase (?) design, that adds just enough weight to make the whole package look less desirable than it could have been. :mad:

Sad to say that the 441 I had pictured took a dirt nap today. My friend who was field testing it had a 30" cherry pile-drive it. Don't know the whole story, but I think he gave it back to the rep in a box.

Chopwood,

Did your friend give you any feedback on the saw the brief time he had it? I mean, did he talk about how well he liked or didn't like it? Also, if he is a Stihl-user, did he comment about the 441's power, weight, AV, etc. vs. the 440 or, better yet, the 460?

To my reckoning, you're the first one to post a reply about the 441 that is actually being used/tested (w/pics, no less).

Thanks,

Greg

Here is a picture of Erin and the new 441.
scan0008.jpg

Stihl ,first they steel Dolmars idea of a motorcycle to help market their product,then they steel Husquvarnas filtration system.Go figure!

John Dolmar said:
Stihl ,first they steel Dolmars idea of a motorcycle to help market their product,then they steel Husquvarnas filtration system.Go figure!

maybe... Andreas Stihl is an avid motorcycle fan, and for the past few decades takes long summer vactions in the USA to tour the county by bike... even visits the local Stihl branches by bike.

I saw Erin compete in the hotsaw compition on saturday in Richmond. Oh and I saw the bike too!LOL I got to run the new 441 but the chain wasn't all that sharp. Good balance and seemed to have pretty good power, smooth running but weighs as much as the 460. Gunter (on of THE stihls guys from Germany) told me not to expect the saw till september.

John Dolmar said:
Stihl has been quite busy "stihling" the last few years - maybe they should change their brand name?:help:

It isn't to long ago that they also "stole" the spring anti-vibes from Elux+Dolmar etc, and the anti-vibe chassis and ramped driver link from Oregon LP, VP etc chain.....:blob2:

SawTroll said:
It isn't to long ago that they also "stole" the spring anti-vibes from Elux+Dolmar etc, and the anti-vibe chassis and ramped driver link from Oregon LP, VP etc chain.....:blob2:

Are you sure it [they] was "stolen"? Might have been cross licenced... which is a really common practice between large corporations (you can't invent everything). Stihl holds something like 600 patents. I'm sure Electrolux/Dolamar has a very large number also.

In any case, Stihl has been using 3-point mount and anti-vibe springs on their backpack blowers since about 1994...

Lakeside53 said:
Are you sure it [they] was "stolen"? Might have been cross licenced...

.... or some patents have ran out lately....:confused:

Anyway, it is for the best of the costumers, so I don't hold it against Stihl!:biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back