The Score That Got Away!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Reaction score
Last weekend I stopped and talked to an old family friend who owns several hundred acres of land nearby. After an hour of shooting the crap, I asked him if he had any dead and down and dead standing oak that he would like removed from his wooded land.

He said that the boys have been out the woods up after the fields were done. He said I could go ahead and help myself, just cut off the piles. So, I went out there to take a look. I took pics because it was just an unbelievable score as the pics will bear out.

As I was cutting the 2 loads I did get, I couldn't help but feel that I was stealing the wood. It was just too dang easy! On the way home with the second load I stopped to once again talk to the farmer and thank him profusely for all the wood I was about to cut.

We got to talking about saws and he nearly bought one like mine. He asked how much wood I have cut with it, and I told him over 200 cords. He wondered how or why I would need so much so I told him that last year I sold over 100 cords. Well, this is where the story comes a dreadful end.

Oh, you sell wood. The boys really want just for people who are needy and need wood to come and help themselves, and maybe help in the woods too. He said I could go ahead and cut but do not tell the boys. I told him that I totally understood what the boys were doing and that I wouldn't cut anymore of it for myself, but if they need help they should get ahold of me.

Here are some pics of the one that got away!
Ted

View attachment 232422View attachment 232423View attachment 232424View attachment 232425

You were honest and thats to be commended...the sad part is that wood will probably rot before anyone gets to turning it into a profit (Feel good or $$)...

Last edited:
You did the right thing . But Ramrod is right it probably will just sit there and go to waste . I have seen it happen a few times myself . Maybe there is some other deal you can work out with them so you are both happy .

232422d1333671921-firewood-pile-001-jpg

232423d1333671923-firewood-pile-002-jpg

232424d1333671924-firewood-pile-003-jpg

232425d1333671925-firewood-pile-004-jpg

:jawdrop: You can never go wrong telling the truth. Have some rep yourself sir, and I am sure your fruits of labor will be returned someday.

Perhaps them boys would be willing to let you at it if you left behind a proportion of all you cut? Or perhaps, split it there and leave behind a portion? I mean, the genuinely needy may not have saws and splitters so leaving a bunch of logs there may not work for anyone?

Oh, and thanks for the pics, the thanks on embedding them (my signature has a 'how-to') and good on you for telling the truth.

Being honest is ALWAYS the best policy. I cut on 150 acres that was loggged for high value timber. They dozed in lots of roads, and left alot. I was given permission to take anything down or dead. I told the owners I would never sale since I was being given the wood. I have even given wood away when people need it, but wouldn't feel right to sell it. Guess what, I still have access. The comment about some going to rot is right on though, I could work a crew of 5 for a summer and couldn't come close to getting the majority of it up. Keep doing the right thing:rock:

Shea

I could work a crew of 5 for a summer and couldn't come close to getting the majority of it up

Would it be worthwhile doing just that with an agreement the owners received a portion of profits? I do this sort of thing and it takes a bit of trust on their behalf but seems to work out well if the wood is profitable.

Man, I wouldn't give up on that easy score. Offer to pay normal stumpage like ten a cord (whatever it is in your area) to the charity of their choice, or something else, deliver a free cord, say one in five, to any place they want, some poor person, etc.

Man, I wouldn't give up on that easy score. Offer to pay normal stumpage like ten a cord (whatever it is in your area) to the charity of their choice, or something else, deliver a free cord, say one in five, to any place they want, some poor person, etc.

+1

I see this time after time around here. The sad part is 80% of that wood will rot right on the spot and no one will gain from it. See if they would sell the whole thing for one price and make them a deal before someone else does. Sad but True.

I second that for sure. There surely is some deal you can work out rather than letting it rot. True, it would no longer be _free_ wood but still cheap and doing a lot of good for the needy.

Harry K

a fair portion looks to be getting punky already.
I'd let the owner know the life expectancy then offer a deal to saw and split for him in exchange for wood for you. Like someone else said, the needy probably can't afford to saw and split it themselves. Offer to do that work and let it earn you some of the logs.

Nice score there, btw. That's a lot of timber. I'd be a kid in a candy store standing at the foot of that pile....

I'd make a cash offer $20 or $30 bucks a cord, with the intension of resale. $200 a cord sounds like a lot of money till you have to split and handle it. Ten percent off the top of what you get with never having to touch an ax isn't that bad when you think about it, Joe.

Husky and Stihl chainsaws and a bobcat to pile them up. There is an equal amount in the woods that is all cut and stacked the same way!

Ted

And there's probably another very large amount in branch sized that wouldn't require splitting there as well, if it isn't burnt up yet. Because all I see is the larger logs.

I like the paying 10% to 20% idea. They have done most of the hard work, and imagine if you could keep it going like that. They drop load and stack, you pay them cut it up and sell it. Win - Win
It's at least worth a try, and your earlier honesty will go a long ways.

What ever you decide I hope all that oak gets used up, what a waste if not.

Latest posts

Back