The season ends

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That is about it for the year for me. I would love to keep cutting but reality set in. My woodpile has grown to rediculous proportions, around 30 cords.

As it was last spring.

020_5.jpg

That pile is a result of harvesting dead and dieing off a Willow grove that had a fire go through about 5-6 years ago. Had to cut it or it would rot where it stood. Keeps O.K. after it is cut split.

As it was a few days ago (I have split and stacked some since)

Picture096.jpg

Took a quick eyeball today and it looks like I have cut enough during the year to replace what I sold and will use this winter. Need to cut back on that some next year so I make some inroads in the old stuff.

The unsplit stuff is from my last two trees, both of them live but I needed to get them out of the farmer's way.

Already having chainsaw withdrawal symptoms and not looking forward to that long, dead winter spell.

Harry K

No, Mine is Bigger

Wait one minute there Harry: are you using the true cord measure for that "30 cord" pile ?:bowdown: You are the first of the year to have the PAS Pile Addiction Syndrome. :blob2:

BTW: how does Willow burn ?

Wait one minute there Harry: are you using the true cord measure for that "30 cord" pile ?:bowdown: You are the first of the year to have the PAS Pile Addiction Syndrome. :blob2:

BTW: how does Willow burn ?

Sure am using full cord. In addition to what shows in the pics, I have the wood shed full (about 3 cord) and another 2 1/2 cord in the porch for this winter's use.

Doesn't burn bad at all in an airtight. Feed a chunk every hour or two usually. One chunk after shutdown will burn all night and be live enough to start again in the morning.

Harry K

I'm not sure I understand what that means.

Wood will deteriorate when not used, especially this Willow. Up to now, I have been burning most of what I cut but last year I put a 'push' on to get the rest of it out of that grove. Most of the trees had already gone bad at the base and I was only getting about 2/3 of each that was useable wood.

This year I am burning around 6 cord of stuff I cut 3 or 4 years ago. Still good but you can smell a slight musty odor.

I'll have to cut way back on my fun out there next year and start eating into the backlog.

That grove is the 3rd clear cut I have done over the past 25 years. I much prefer clear-cut to thinning, much easier.

Harry K

Back