the wife is demanding more hot water for her bath.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topofthehil

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am needing advice on sizing a pump to run boiler water through a flat plate heat exchanger for heating domestic water.
I have a Garn 2000 that supplies the boiler water to the exchanger.
my hopes, when I installed the exchanger, was that the taco 0011 pump I use to get the water from the boiler to the zone pumps (007-ZF5-9) would be enough to push the water through the exchanger. it will, if I close down the valve that divides the supply/return loop.
however, I think this practice will eventually burn up the pump.
so, my plan is to add a continuous circulating pump just for the exchanger.
any thoughts or other suggestions?
can I go with a 005, or stick with a 007?
I assume I don't need a 007-ZF5-9 and can go with a less expensive 007?
if it's continuos use, do I need a pump with a built in check valve?
thanks in advance for your help,

Go to ********** the boiler room.Those guys will tell you all you need to know.I have a garn too.

boiler pump

I sell and install outdoor boilers and was having trouble with a pump and I called Taco and talked to a Tech ( I think his name was George ) and we taldek about an hour He asked a bunch of questions and told me the best pump for the situation

The way my OWB is set up the water is pumped through the flat exchanger 100%, and then goes to the heat exchanger in the furnace, and back to the stove.
I get all the hot water I want, and all the heat I want.

the way I have it set up is There is about a 20’ run from the supply/return loop to a “T” one leg goes to a pump and then to the heat exchanger in the plenum. The other leg of the “T” is what goes to the flat plate heat exchanger for heating domestic water.
This is the leg that I need to put the pump on. Maybe if I had to do again I would use one pump to run to both in a series. My thought was to have the plenum pump work on demand and the hot water to be continuous. That’s why I used a “T”. Also, if there was a flow restriction in the flat plate, it would not affect the performance of the plenum exchanger.
I was inquiring on what size (hp) pump to install?

the way I have it set up is There is about a 20’ run from the supply/return loop to a “T” one leg goes to a pump and then to the heat exchanger in the plenum. The other leg of the “T” is what goes to the flat plate heat exchanger for heating domestic water.
This is the leg that I need to put the pump on. Maybe if I had to do again I would use one pump to run to both in a series. My thought was to have the plenum pump work on demand and the hot water to be continuous. That’s why I used a “T”. Also, if there was a flow restriction in the flat plate, it would not affect the performance of the plenum exchanger.
I was inquiring on what size (hp) pump to install?

I would do a separate loop, circ. for the HWH HX. I'm still looking for a cheap flow switch, would turn on the flow to the HWH HX on demand for HW.

drop me a line if you find a flow switch that will work.
that sounds like that would be the way to go.
no need to have hot water from the boiler going throuh the coil if it's not calling for it.
my plan will be to connect a seperate pump that would be switched on when it senses a flow to recharge the hot water storage tank.

drop me a line if you find a flow switch that will work.
that sounds like that would be the way to go.
no need to have hot water from the boiler going throuh the coil if it's not calling for it.
my plan will be to connect a seperate pump that would be switched on when it senses a flow to recharge the hot water storage tank.

I would have done that by now, but too many $$ going in different directions. A 3/4" flow swith is around $100, McDonnell-Miller, Johnson Controls switches are the easiest to procure. That way you could use the real small Taco/B & G pupmp to flow boiler water thru the HX. Also required would be a Y-strainer(s) to prevent crud buildup in the HX.

what size mesh in the Y-strainer(s) to prevent crud buildup in the HX?
so, you think a Taco 005 would do the trick?
can you suggest a model#?

what size mesh in the Y-strainer(s) to prevent crud buildup in the HX?
so, you think a Taco 005 would do the trick?
can you suggest a model#?

1. Somtehing fairly fine...depends on what kind of water you have...calcium buildiup causes the most grief.

2. A model #?...Taco 005 or a small B&G NRF series, you're not having to move a tremendous amount of water thru a small loop.

Latest posts

Back