THE WILD TREES, Richard Preston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grizzly giant

Thought you might all enjoy the cover of the Chinese edition of The Wild Trees:

2822114795_b4700c88a9.jpg

Here's a crop showing the cover photo in more detail, "Look ma no rope!":

2822115407_5196217cd3_o.jpg

-moss

this tree on the chinese cover is definitely grizzly giant in yosemite np, who is the climber? I don't think stephen sillett?! now richard preston could write a new book about the discovery/mapping of the largest living tree on earth-I think this giant sequoia is 3200 years old and has more wood volume than general sherman cannot wait longer for the article in national geographic magazine and the photograph of michael nichols:)

Moss ... your post reminded me of a redwood I took a pic of in Prairie Creek.

From what I've seen in videos of people doing rock jamming, I'm pretty sure that someone who wasn't even a rock climber could get up this redwood.

Look for my hand, that's how big the bark ridges and gaps are. Several redwoods like this in the parks lead me to think that a couple of the indians must have climbed one.

attachment.php

yeah right with one small difference the tree on the chinese edition of the wild trees is a giant sequoia and they have a smoother bark than a sequoia sempervirens that's why I don't think it's that easy to climb the grizzly giant without rope.

This thread is worth a bump.

Actually, I hear about this book The Wild Trees about every few weeks, from people I do landscaping or pruning work for. I'm actually surprised by how popular the book is. I know it's an excellent book, but still noteworthy how much reach it has years past it's publishing.

I probably show the portrait of Andrew I posted earlier, twice weekly, as it's in my portraiture practice book.

i know this is an older thread that has been bumped a couple times but i just read this book this weekend after seeing this thread. I was wondering if you guys/girls had anymore recomendations for books about trees and climbing like this one. not neccisarily redwoods or giant trees just climbing in general. thanks for the help.

ps
after reading this book i have decided to someday go out to cali. to see the giant redwoods

In case cost of a new book hindered a few readers when first released .... The Wild Trees, particularly in paperback, is very affordable now. I was checking prices last month after somebody asked, and it seems the paperback is the Lions share of what's for sale now.

Someone ought to make a movie based on tihis book.

M.D. Vaden, good to come across you on here. We met at a diner down in California last summer. I was wearing my work hoody and you recognised the company name/logo. My wife, her grandmother and i were visiting the redwood forest for our first time. Our visit was only for a day so we didn't have much time to travel and see everything but it was a great trip. We plan to return for a longer trip next year. again, its good to cross paths with you again. Hope you have been well

M.D. Vaden, good to come across you on here. We met at a diner down in California last summer. I was wearing my work hoody and you recognised the company name/logo. My wife, her grandmother and i were visiting the redwood forest for our first time. Our visit was only for a day so we didn't have much time to travel and see everything but it was a great trip. We plan to return for a longer trip next year. again, its good to cross paths with you again. Hope you have been well

Hello ...

Took a moment, but now I recall our introduction.

Seems I've met a few tree people down that way. Yourself, then a man who now works at a Trinidad, CA, restaurant his dad owns, and most recently the man in the photo below, on vacation from Canada. He helped me re-measure the world's tallest hemlock last January in Prairie Creek redwoods. It's just behind the Douglas fir in the photo.

Anyway, of the professions I hear of in conversation, tree related is right up there.

Canada_1200.jpg

Back