THEFT: Chainsaws and grcs ripped off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FBerkel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good morning, arborists. We had our GRCS winch (number 272) and mounting bracket stolen from our shipping container in Boulder County, CO. over the weekend. They gnawed their way in (then left some bolt cutters in the bed of one of our trucks --thieves can be geniuses). Also many saws, up to a 3120 xp (serial 120600148). If these show up, please let me know.
Thanks, Fred Berkelhammer 303-443-1233

Good luck with getting your equipment back. Thieves piss me off more than anything. Very sorry to hear about your troubles, hope its not preventing you from working totally. Best wishes, and hope your insurance has your back.

wonder if your crew was followed back from a job site ? I have friends who are newspaper photographers in Montreal and a few of them were followed (discovered in hindsight as they lock things up before going places) and had their cars broken into when they were having lunch. happened a couple of times to different people.

Good luck with getting your equipment back.
11ce19.jpg

Thanks for the responses. They used their bolt cutters to _____ (wordsmiths: insert better verb here) through the hasp on the door, similar to the one in this picture, but somewhat heavier duty: http://www.novavisioninc.com/images/products/bolt-seal-trailer-hasp-ms-b7y.jpg Bolt cutters weren't made to "cut" through one of these, it would take a bit of work . There have been other chainsaw thefts around this light industrial neighborhood, recently. They may have followed the crew back, or just trolled around the neighborhood looking for tree trucks. It wasn't an inside job.

Thanks for the responses. They used their bolt cutters to _____ (wordsmiths: insert better verb here) through the hasp on the door, similar to the one in this picture, but somewhat heavier duty: http://www.novavisioninc.com/images/products/bolt-seal-trailer-hasp-ms-b7y.jpg Bolt cutters weren't made to "cut" through one of these, it would take a bit of work .

Doesn't your shipping container have a center hasp where the doors close together that you can also padlock, that is partially enclosed? It makes thievery very much more challenging, cause only the bottom of the padlock is exposed.
Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you got ripped off.

Wow, very sorry to hear this. I will let my coworkers know there are theives stealing tree equipment about. We just got a shipping container as a security upgrade at my suggestion. We are in Boulder County too so this worries me.

Yeah, watch out. They took all the saws from the company down the road last Winter, and went back there last weekend, but couldn't get in. They are definitely looking for chainsaws.

most times it is an inside job,,,

Most of the time it is. I thought about this thread when a guy told me yesterday a mutual friend of ours found out recently who stole four saws and some gear from him last summer. It was an employee of his from Guatemala. He interviewed a contract climber and happen to look in the back of the guy's truck and there was some of the stolen gear and one of the saws. It didn't take long to piece the crime together.

Latest posts

Back