Theft protection ideas, or what I am doing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In recovery of a stolen saw, identification is first and foremost, 2nd is proof of ownership.

I have put a red dot with nail polish on the bottom of my saws. This is first, quick and simple identification of a saw of mine. 2nd I write my name and birth date under the main engine cover. 3rd I remove the peel off sticker with the serial number, and re-apply it to my owners manual (only works with new saws) that also has the purchase receipt stabled to the inside front cover.

That is a great idea. I get so tired of replacing them. No more worn or warped rotors either. Genius!
I keep my new air filters in the original plastic bag they come in, I'm sure they last for ages installed that way.

back on topic, I have a saw bought from an older farmer who moved to the city, his shed got hit not long after moving to the big smoke, and thus, he drilled holes in the back handle of the saw with his name and license no and painted them a terrible purple colour.
no problems identifying those if they were stolen.

I keep my new air filters in the original plastic bag they come in, I'm sure they last for ages installed that way.
No way! You just solved the filtration issues on the 500i! I am going to go and put my filter in a ziplock and then install it. Then, maybe some of that shrink wrap that they put on boats for storage. Everything will stay so clean!

We take our machines and scribe our company name on several plastic parts on the saw. Then we fill in the damaged areas with a paint pen in strikingly different color.

Then scribe our name on several places on the metal case, generally where it is not accessible to a grinder or file.

And then... we record the serial number and keep it on file. Over the years, I've gotten back quite a few stolen items from the pawn shops. They have to report ALL serial numbers.

Last summer, I had a backpack blower stolen from a parked truck. When I went to make the police report, they didn't really want to help, but I insisted they make a report, despite the fact that they thought nothing would come of it. Two weeks later, I had my blower back from a pawn shop 12 miles away. The guy that traded it in was now subject to prosecution, as well, although I think the cops did nothing but make the pawn shop take the loss.

Pawn shops, on the other hand, won't generally touch a machine that is clearly marked up like we do our equipment. The thieves know this, and are less likely to grab it when there is an opportunity.

logging chain through the handles wraped around 6 X 6" tie beam in the barn. Spikes in the beam to hang them off.

That's probably not too convenient for saws that get used regularly.
Even then, screws would hold much better than spikes, and you could get some with security heads that defy the average tool set.

Back