There's no money in selling firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zogger, from this website. http://www.workopolis.com/content/a...earning-the-average-canadian-wages-right-now/
Curious about how much money people are making? Well, Statistics Canada’s most recent report on wages in Canada had some good news, indicating that overall Canadians were making about 2.2% more at the end of 2011 than we were in 2010. So how much are Canadians earning? The average salary in this country is roughly $883 a week or $46,000 a year. [Editor's note: This article is from February 2012 - a February 2013 salary update is available here.]

zogger you make 30 dollars a day?

No, less, about twenty bucks and change a day. Part timer work, but 7 days a week. Winter not so much work, spring summer and fall I make up for it. I do get a little cabin provided though, so that makes it almost affordable, ha! In the winter I putz with wood, when it is warmer I putz with my rolling junk trucks (that I got for scrap price), I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with one of them this spring though. I had it up and running, but then the fuel line rot and lift pump went, got the parts, that is almost all done, try it again. A few more things after that, should be ready to drive a bit, then sell it. Take that money, leapfrog it into the next one, trying to work my way up to a full size decent truck. I don't work on my stuff until parts are in hand and the weather cooperates, I can't stand working on anything steel in the cold anymore. Those two issues make my wrenching forays infrequent. If I had a garage I would work more on my stuff. I can hold a saw or a fiskars when it is cold, but my fingers don't work anymore very well and doing mechanic stuff ..well...have to admit reality, just can't much anymore, but I like to putz with it when I can. something to do, keep busy, etc.

I cut and split for my father in law and for neighbors,

I now have a better idea of what wood should cost, as well as what it takes just to get it down the road.

The prices some of the firewood guys used to quote I now see we're indeed quite fair.

Good thing I enjoy it- if I had to do it every other day or thrice a week, maybe not so much.

Really love the garage for mechanic work, especially in the winter.

Buddy runs a trucking company, and I used to help him do mechanic work on his 3-5 truck fleet.

Good thing I enjoy doing mechanic work, cause it sure wasn't much fun crawling under them things in the cold and snow. The worst is the fingers, as gloves restrict too much, but numb fingers ain't much good either..

Brrrr... cold chill from memories..

I now have a better idea of what wood should cost, as well as what it takes just to get it down the road.

The prices some of the firewood guys used to quote I now see we're indeed quite fair.

Good thing I enjoy it- if I had to do it every other day or thrice a week, maybe not so much.
I think some guy's are reasonable, and some are way out of the park on prices.
Gets to a point where it's cheaper to heat with gas.
I burn wood to save money, not because it's fun.

it does get old indeed Brian.5 out of the last 6 out in the cold,snow and wind.trying to get ahead for next year but it just ain't happening.people are out of wood and will buy anything that looks dry.:dizzy: but i love to cut wood and this is the time of the year i have time to do it.hauled 4 cords in yesterday and there is about a 1/4 cord left. most of it was sold in 1/4 cord piles.

He was kidding around..He and I both sell wood in the Houston area and he was thinking I was trying to get him to tell me his secret. That post was aimed at me directly not anyone else on the forum I'm sure....Its all good
Yes I was being sarcastic. If you’ll look at my past post I have gone into great detail about how I get things done. This business is not for the lazy man, its hard work and you have to go through a learning curve and do lots of research. If you have some sort of common since you’ll figure it out. You’re not going to start up and have great results rite away. It takes time to build a good customer base.

Top things that work.

Number 1 is answering the phone: if someone is shopping and you let it go to voice mail, they will most likely find someone else before you get back to them.

Number 2 be friendly, honest and be willing to answer any questions they have. And trust me people can ask some pretty dumb questions.

Number 3 say what you will do and do what you say.

Number 4 is be on time for your appointments.

Number 5 only sell a quality product.

Last year I did lots of deliveries and did pretty good. This year I did very little deliveries and did about a third better then I did the year before.
Basically business 101

Ok there’s 5 good tips for everyone to ponder.

Last year I did lots of deliveries and did pretty good. This year I did very little deliveries and did about a third better then I did the year before.
Basically business 101

Sounds like a price increase. Its is always nicer to get paid the same or more and do less work.

Sounds like a price increase. Its is always nicer to get paid the same or more and do less work.

Since I charge for deliveries I make less for wood that’s picked up at the yard. I have a base price for pickup and a minimum charge plus millage and time. You have to factor in load time, drive time, gas and insurance plus a stacking fee if I have to wheel barrow it in the back yard. My time and labor is worth money just like everyone else.

Since I charge for deliveries I make less for wood that’s picked up at the yard. I have a base price for pickup and a minimum charge plus millage and time. You have to factor in load time, drive time, gas and insurance plus a stacking fee if I have to wheel barrow it in the back yard. My time and labor is worth money just like everyone else.
you guys won't believe this but i make more on wood picked here that i do delivering.used to deliver everything. started to sell a few roadside bins here and there .soon most of my time was spent filling bins.i only deliver to a few old time regulars now cause thats what i did and most of those are 15 minutes or less away.most deliveries are $85-$100 per 1/2 cord. 1/4 cord bins are $55 picked up they haul. i don't know if people are tight on cash or what,but thats what has been selling for me.have a guy coming today to get a bin. he got one about 2 weeks ago.
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Sell as much of it as possible in small amounts such as bundles or skids .we sell skids that contain 26 pieces for $20.bundle goes for $5.00. There is a whole lot of bundles in a face cord/rick of wood. Nobody here buys cords only face cords.we sell it those 3 ways so we can satisfy whatever need the customer has for their wood.A lot of people this fall was only interested in enough wood to burn to sit out and watch the game on the patio.

Sell as much of it as possible in small amounts such as bundles or skids .we sell skids that contain 26 pieces for $20.bundle goes for $5.00. There is a whole lot of bundles in a face cord/rick of wood. Nobody here buys cords only face cords.we sell it those 3 ways so we can satisfy whatever need the customer has for their wood.A lot of people this fall was only interested in enough wood to burn to sit out and watch the game on the patio.

I've extremely green to log farming....

Bought a home, last year, that uses LP. $400 per month from Oct-Feb. If I don't burn wood costs me $2,000.
Saved up last Summer for a saw $300, Home Owner's Insurance Deductable $1,000 for a new Stove Installed, all in $1,300...
$2,000(LP) - $1,300(equip.) = $700 saved

Next year, and years after, the whole $2,000 is saved...
That IS money in firewood.

I know it ain't "making a living" as the OP implies... But it's making MY living a whole hell of a lot better... :)

I usually let calls go to voice mail and call back in the evening or the next day. I've found that it slows me down a bunch taking calls all day.
Even better is emails/Facebook since I can do that in the evening or early morning, often when most folks are sleeping (like right now)

Most folks understand that and are usually just happy I even bothered to call back.

Ideal would be a secretary that is handling calls, paperwork, scheduling, etc, but for now I'm pretty much wearing many hats.

Yes I was being sarcastic. If you’ll look at my past post I have gone into great detail about how I get things done. This business is not for the lazy man, its hard work and you have to go through a learning curve and do lots of research. If you have some sort of common since you’ll figure it out. You’re not going to start up and have great results rite away. It takes time to build a good customer base.

Top things that work.

Number 1 is answering the phone: if someone is shopping and you let it go to voice mail, they will most likely find someone else before you get back to them.

Number 2 be friendly, honest and be willing to answer any questions they have. And trust me people can ask some pretty dumb questions.

Number 3 say what you will do and do what you say.

Number 4 is be on time for your appointments.

Number 5 only sell a quality product.

Basically business 101

I usually load four rows into my pickup truck when I deliver by the truckload, packed like a sardine can. Another alternative is to sell by the row, say for $40 apiece. A row is about 100 logs stacked up almost cab high, so that comes out to 40 cents a log. Just a suggestion for partials. Giving a row of firewood logs for a holiday gift to a friend would be an interesting idea. WDYT?

I usually load four rows into my pickup truck when I deliver by the truckload, packed like a sardine can. Another alternative is to sell by the row, say for $40 apiece. A row is about 100 logs stacked up almost cab high, so that comes out to 40 cents a log. Just a suggestion for partials. Giving a row of firewood logs for a holiday gift to a friend would be an interesting idea. WDYT?

100 logs? We usually get 40-50 on the log truck for around 9-10 cords.

We get around $240 a full cord here in upstate NY .Talked to a guy in New Hampshire that is selling it for $350 and can't keep up. Doesn't make sense, 100 gallons of fuel is equivalent in BTUS to 1 full cord of wood and fuel is selling for $1.80 a gallon.

Latest posts

Back