Thermometer for measuring OWB pipes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm250rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im wondering if ive got some heat loss in my OWB lines. Temp at boiler is 180, temp on inside boiler shows 20-30 degree difference. I thought ny HX may be getting clogged so i plumbed in a couple T's and added a boler temp fitting to both in coming and return lines. Temps match what im seeing on the indoor gas boiler. My lines are thermopex about 6 years old. They are buried a couple feet at the boiler and end up about 8 feet down where they enter the basement. Id like to measure the water temp exiting the boiler. Looking for suggestions on IR thermometers.

I have a little 4.7 volt rechargeable that I got at Home Depot and it seems to work great, found a frozen pex pipe the other day with it. I think it was around 40-50 bucks. It has many uses, one being a cat toy! LOL

How did you do that?
Well we knew there was a problem and i checked the most likely spot, right where the pipe went up to the living room baseboard, it is through a wooden beam sill and on top of an old stone foundation. Temp on either side of the elbow was above freezing and at the elbow it was 27*, 3 min. with a blow dryer it was thawed out. Not my house but a customers on Thanksgiving weekend!
I stand corrected on my IR thermometer, it's a Ryobi and it's only 4 volts but it is rechargeable.

Finally picked one up. Couldnt get a good reading on the pex pipe. However, the temp at the sharkbite fittings at the furnace and in the house were both 140*. the black fittng coming out of the furnace was showing 170*. I think its safe to say that im not loosing temp through the lines

Latest posts

Back