Thermostat?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwatson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is there a thermostat that would turn on just my blower when the house calls for heat and would also turn on the backup propane heat in the event that my outdoor woodburner wasn't able to keep the house above a certain temp? I just bought a honeywell 7 day programmable thermostat model RTH7500D. I don't think it will do what I am asking about, according to there technician. Is there a way to trick it?

Is there a thermostat that would turn on just my blower when the house calls for heat and would also turn on the backup propane heat in the event that my outdoor woodburner wasn't able to keep the house above a certain temp? I just bought a honeywell 7 day programmable thermostat model RTH7500D. I don't think it will do what I am asking about, according to there technician. Is there a way to trick it?

yes there is--talk to a GOOD furnace man..it wont be a 20 dol thermo tho!!!!!!

Wood Doctor in Maine has what you need. 1-877-770-8778. It's the Wood Doctor Switching Relay Kit. This will allow you to set a separate thermostat 5 degrees higher than your existing thermostat. As long as the outdoor wood burner is making hot water it will override your primary heat system using your existing blower in the air handler. If the fire dies down your existing thermostat will turn on the primary heating system.

What would be wrong with two elcheapo thermostats? One hooked to each device and set at different temps.

What would be wrong with two elcheapo thermostats? One hooked to each device and set at different temps.

You need the switching relay so you can have two thermostats set to different temperatures. You want the second thermostat set 5 degrees higher than your primary thermostat. The second thermostat won't turn on the heating element (gas, oil or electric) in your existing furnace, it will turn on just the blower in the air handler. The kit is $75.00, I have one on the way for my Wood Doctor 8000 which I'm in the process of installing.

I have 2 el-cheapo stats and no relay.Works fine.

I really wish my memory was better and I could tell you how to do it OR at least find the diagram... :laugh:

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I just talked to my buddy who has a two thermostat hook-up and he said it works fine. ( Forgot about asking him before I posted )I think I'll just use the new one I just purchased and use the old one for a back-up for the propane and set the temp about 5 degrees below the new one. Just thought it would be cool to be able to do it with one stat.

Thanks again for the replies. The people on hear are always willing to take time to help someone out. That's cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what you are looking for:

attachment.php

from this page on the Central Boiler website.

Many furnaces have a 2 stage burner. Many thermostats, maybe yours, are set up with W1 and W2, At the set point, it energizes W1. If it reaches a lower set point or after a period of time, it energizes W2. Connect W1 to the 24 volt coil of a relay connected to your blower. Connect W2 to W at the furnace.

My furnace and thermostat have W1 and W2. It also has a switch that I leave in the position where the furnace chooses the firing rate when W1 is activated.

Hunter Thermostat at lowes

This is what i have installed in my house and i love it. It is the most versatile thermostat i have ever used. What you are looking for is multi stage heat control. This thermostat allows you to set a temp setpoint for example 75. When the thermostat gets below 75 it will kick on the primary heat source, if the primary doesnt heat the house up it will kick on the secondary heat stage (propane elec etc..) until it reaches 75. You can program the thermostat to kick on the secondary source after a certain amount of time or after a certain difference in temperature. This thermo is also completely programmable, it has a touchscreen and it looks damn good on the wall. I am an automation control engineer and i know a thing or two about controlling a process and i absolutely cant find anything i dont like about this thermostat. IF you buy this thing and need help send me a message and i will help you out

here is a link to lowes website to check it out

Shop Hunter 7-Day Programmable Thermostat at Lowes.com

Ok guys, I have a similar question I think.

I have a double wide mobile home with your basic mobile home furnace. I installed a wood stove when I moved in, and am looking for a way to have the furnace blower come on sometimes so it can circulate the heat from the woodstove to the rest of the house. Is there a way I can accomplish this with a single thermostat, or perhaps by adding a second?

The main reason I would like to do this is because in mobile homes they run the water pipes near the furnace heating ducts under the house to prevent freeze-ups. So I would probably only use this feature once in a while to circulate some warm air through the system. It would also be nice to cirulate some warmer air to bedrooms and bathrooms when its really cold.

It may be a non-issue, There were a few nights that it was around 15 below and I did not run the furnace and I didn't have any freeze-ups. Any nights that it got colder than that (only a few this year) I let the furnace run just to be safe.
Thanks in advance.

Many furnaces have a 2 stage burner. Many thermostats, maybe yours, are set up with W1 and W2, At the set point, it energizes W1. If it reaches a lower set point or after a period of time, it energizes W2. Connect W1 to the 24 volt coil of a relay connected to your blower. Connect W2 to W at the furnace.

My furnace and thermostat have W1 and W2. It also has a switch that I leave in the position where the furnace chooses the firing rate when W1 is activated.

Labman has it right.
Get a two stage Tsat and wire 1st stage to turn on your fan.
W1 is 1st stage G is your fan. About any AC and heating service Tech should have these

I had a lot of them years ago when customers would have new systems installed.

Or you could have two Tsats's and have the primary set at 70* and the secondary set at 65*.

Ok guys, I have a similar question I think.

I have a double wide mobile home with your basic mobile home furnace. I installed a wood stove when I moved in, and am looking for a way to have the furnace blower come on sometimes so it can circulate the heat from the woodstove to the rest of the house. Is there a way I can accomplish this with a single thermostat, or perhaps by adding a second?

The main reason I would like to do this is because in mobile homes they run the water pipes near the furnace heating ducts under the house to prevent freeze-ups. So I would probably only use this feature once in a while to circulate some warm air through the system. It would also be nice to cirulate some warmer air to bedrooms and bathrooms when its really cold.

It may be a non-issue, There were a few nights that it was around 15 below and I did not run the furnace and I didn't have any freeze-ups. Any nights that it got colder than that (only a few this year) I let the furnace run just to be safe.
Thanks in advance.

Do you have a 2 stage thermostat, and it is where the wood stove doesn't heat it directly? If so, you could connect the wire from W1 to the G terminal at the furnace. When the thermostat called for heat, it would activate the blower.

Otherwise, you could install a simple thermostat in the bed room and connect its w terminal to the furnace G terminal.

Back