things that annoy climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being rushed by the boss. Just makes me work slower, and things DO get broken.

Having a boss who thinks he / she knows more about tree work than I do when they really don't.

Working for a boss who hates new technology.

Having a homeowner that questions every move you make and then watches the whole job.

Some homeowners like to watch out of shear curiousity and amazement, these don't bother me.

Trying to convince another climber/person that you may be working with (for a one shot deal) the reason why I won't hook a try that is not a removal!

Originally posted by treeman82
Groundie says that the lowering line is tied on to climbing line. Start to pull climbing line up, lowering line starts sliding down the climbing line.

LOL!
That happens a lot. Then you yell at them and they don't tie a different knot, they just tighten the half hitch. You start pulling it up again and this time it gets 3/4 of the way up and starts sliding down again.
Then they get frustrated and tie a huge monkey fist.:rolleyes:

It's too bad they don't know what it feels like to have to haul the big lowering line up into the tree X+ feet. The 1/2" lines are no big deal. Get into the 5/8" stable braid though, and we start talking about some weight.

A customer who says on a view cut "I own everything cut what needs to be cut". You walk the property and they end up only owening about 5' past their house.
This happens a lot when you are doing view work for a gated community that has no distinctive property barriers. Untile you look at the survey prints. Still the customer insists they own it all. A real headache to deal with.:rolleyes:

having the groundman fill your my saw up, not put the oil cap on properly, then it proceeds to run onto my rope as i pull it up, then when i realise the oil cap is not on, and tell him i get a answer "it was on when i sent it up" who opened the ******* thing? the lazy arse pigeons chillin like rasterfarians?

i understand these things happen, but what makes it worse is when people make excuses, and lame ones at that, also he was welsh enough said :)

customer that takes picture then marks on it where to cut.i did a big reduction ona decaying horse chesnut earlier this year and was presented with such a picture.aftera polite discussion we came to a mutual agreement about where to prune and pruning techniques.did half the tree that day then returned next day.

nob end customer then saays"i was playing around on my computer last night and now think it would look better here"showing me anther pic :angry:

i refused and it took nearly 2 hours to sort out

Originally posted by treeman82

Working for a boss who hates new technology.

Amen to that...not so much hating, but feeling that 'this has worked for this long, why change now?"

I have plenty to rant about but today I hate Stihl gas/oil caps. Give me back the old screw in caps that are Idiot proof. Lost an oil cap on an 046 today while bucking up a log in tall Veg, caused a total work stopage. 2 months ago I dumped a full tank of oil on the bucket truck windshield from aloft. Da*n I hate the new Stihl caps.

Long drags uphill thru soggy grass.

Poisen Ivy

Chipping London Plain or Sycamore

Co-workers that "borrow" gear without asking

Getting crap jobs that other Tree Companys refuse because our salesman doesn`t have to do the work.

Hawthorns

No place to pee

Crew members that constantly lose their equipment, gloves, etc

Amen to the one-stick wonders moving brush, and the Stihl caps. They remind me of New Coke.

Worst of all is the people who think that all a tree climber does/can do/should do is cut trees. That one's getting real old. Wonder where they get that idea--maybe from all the climbers who sell little else but cutting?

Poison ivy? I saw a vine killing a 12" pine today--it had 10' branches on it.:eek: The client crapped when I told him what it was, highly allergic kids, agreeable to paying surcharge for hazardous duty.:D

Funny part is, the stuff doesn't bother me much.:angel:

Stinking "that won't work", "that's not the right way" thinking from negativist coworkers used to be the worst problem.

Eating the wrong thing at lunch and then getting sick while aloft. Gotta bail out, find a bathroom ASAP, and then go back up.

Pruned branches that won't come out of the tree (apple, etc.) no matter how hard you try...

Nicking your hand with the Silky...

Sap on your rope that won't slide thru your hitch...

The Pantin that unexpectedly comes off the rope...

Not hitting the target on the first throw, pulling it out, and having the throwline land in brush, sticks, leaves, or anything else that will make it into a birds nest (throwing from a driveway is bliss)...

Groudies that are still in the drop zone when your saw is running and 'clear' has been yelled...

When a rope won't slide thru a crotch because the throwline is running thru some flaky bark...

The log that swings into the trunk and gives you a better ride than six flags (actually it's fun - most of the time)

Ear muffs on my Husky helmet that get caught on branches...

Customers watching (while in the drop zone!)

And much more...

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
I didn't know you could 'nick' yourself with a Silky, I've always assumed a hospital trip would be necessary!:blob2:

Not a hospital, maybe some super glue or duck tape. I remember.........

:)

never mind nicking yourself with a silky ionce stabbed a vein in my forearm with one.good amount of blood flow,filled my golve up within 20 secs.

if your gonna cut yourself with a silky try to do it with a new(ish) blade as it don't seem to hurt as much(maybe cause thier so darn sharp);)

Back