Think my owb boiled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcuter ms361

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I think my owb might have boiled and messed up my taco 9 pump!if it did I want to put a safety sensor to turn off pump,just wondering if any one else has had this happen?Thought about getting another aqustat and setting it to 200 degree to turn pump off in case it ever boiled again.

You don't want to turn the pump off if it boils - you need to keep the water moving to cool it down or you may cause other damage to the OWB. Better to make sure that you keep the water level where it belongs (add water more than once per season and something else is wrong).

The taco pumps with replaceable cartridges are nice. I just replaced the cartridge in mine - less than a 5 minute exercise.

Make sure your water is properly conditioned - if you don't balance the PH it WILL eat the pump. If you have debris in the water it WILL eat the pump. If you don't remove the pump cartridge or run it a few times over the off season it will eventually seize.

Mine has boiled a couple times and it hasn't seemed to bother the pump yet. When I notice it getting hot I turn the blower on to my heat exchanger and blow some hot air into the house. Usually only takes a few minutes to get the temp back down.

Any idea what the cause of the over heat was? In my case I think my door gasket is getting bad and allowing air in when the damper is closed. On my list to replace it but for now I just make sure the seal is clean before shutting the door and am keeping an eye on it.

I think I had the aquastat set to high,it was set 190 and after the draft shut it would continue to heat up from that burn.I have it set to 170 now.

gwiley,, you are correct on turning the pump on a few times in the off season. I have done this others years but for some reason this summer i forgot. Had to replace the pump this year. Any air leaks with cause it to boil

I keep mine set at 195. It creeps up 3-4degrees and then starts coming back down. I'm not worried about the temp much because my fan runs 24/7. If the fan turned off and on then I wouldn't run it that hot. I think you did the right thing by turning the temp down.

Scott

The onlY time mine has ever boiled was when the water level was low or to much air got in for some reason.
Creasote around the door gaskets, something under the draft flapper, door open too long while loading, etc.
keep the water level above the pipe you see when the vent is removed.

Last edited:
I've had that happen a couple of times, make sure your draft blower door/air intake door seals properly, clean the creosote spooge off of it, have at least a small genny to run the circs. in case of power outage.

I remember the when I boiled mine over. It was the first week I got the boiler. I was so excited about seeing the flame I had that door wide open and kept on feeding her. I was throwing scraps and other stuff that I had laying around the burner. All of a sudden. water started shooting out of the vent on the top. I got pretty freaked out and thought that I ruined it. I have not had a problem with the pump at all though. It was pretty funny.:laugh:

My aquastat has a secondary set of contacts that are configured to close when the water temp reaches a particular temp - 205 degrees in my case. This is used to force the circulator pump on, cooling the whole rig. Keeps everybody happy...
Mike

Latest posts

Back