thinking ahead - OWB and swimming pool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK .. as I dig out from a couple of inches of ice I dream of summer. I am watching for a deal on how to use my new OWB this spring to get our pool open a little earlier. Maybe not a perminat system .. one I can use to heat it up at the start of the season or intermitantly. I have been watching for a cheap water to water exchanger. I have heard I must make sure there is no copper in it.. even for the welds.. then others say I will be fine as long as the PH in the pool water is ok. I was thinking about plumbing in a "Y" or "T" in the lines to the boiler so I can hook up temporary lines going to a seperate ex and then use the pool pump to run the pool water to the other side. Anyone played with this ... may give me something to dream about durring the next few fridged months!

I suppose you could make some kind of exchanger......but for a temporary system I bet just dropping some PEX tubing into the pool would do the trick - you existing pump would work fine if it is at the OWB. The more you put in the better it will work. You probably just want to keep the lines away from the liner and could insulate it where someone might accidently touch it.

Try to find a cupronickel braised plate heat exchanger and make sure your saturation index is good. Copper would be better than stainless steel if you are using a salt generator.

I would just take a feed from your heating loop and drop a coil of pipe into the pool.

By the time you want to get into the pool your demands on the heating should be next to nothing.

I would just take a feed from your heating loop and drop a coil of pipe into the pool.

By the time you want to get into the pool your demands on the heating should be next to nothing.

Exactly,drop a 100 or 300 ft roll of pex into the water,and connect the ends to the OWB,and circulator.Make sure you drop it near the water jets,so it circulates the pool water around the roll of pex.If it doesnt work out,your not out much money,and you have pex for your next project.

My neighbor uses an old wood stove to heat his swimming pool for early spring late fall use...he doesn't have an OWB though. The kids love the warm water.

I bring him over a lot of junk wood I would never bring in the house and it works well for him...just say'en I'm not a fussy wood burner either.

My neighbor uses an old wood stove to heat his swimming pool for early spring late fall use...he doesn't have an OWB though. The kids love the warm water.

I bring him over a lot of junk wood I would never bring in the house and it works well for him...just say'en I'm not a fussy wood burner either.

How does he transfer the heat from the old wood stove to the pool?

gg

Well I'm no technical expert but the stove is about 6 ft from the pool, there a bunch of copper pipe and a circulating pump. LOL... i know I'm of very little help. truthfully I've never studied the system very closely and didn't even see a boiler, but it sure does look simple enough. Where I dump bucket loads of wood has a much larger footprint than his heater.

I'll ask him for a more specific explanation and get back to you here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back