Third time milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willbarryrec

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I have been super busy but I managed to get out and do a little milling....Thought you all might enjoy some fresh pics.

Got my truck loaded up one fine morning.(This was a bit ago as you will see by all the lack of leaves of the trees)

Milling for the first time with my freshly rebuilt Husky 2100!:rock:

Got the 046 for bucking and trimming,2x4s for guide rails,bar oil,mix,gas for the truck if needed,my new aux oiler which I am still working the kinks out of.

IMG_1170.JPG

Here's the victim for today!
Sugar maple,measures 32" across at the butt.
IMG_1172.JPG

Kind of a funky shape.

IMG_1173.JPG

Top.

IMG_1174.JPG

We also had this pile of firewood to scramble over,not the best footing but hey that's life.:)

IMG_1176.JPG

And I will continue in another post.

Last edited:
Here's my milling buddy Ben setting up the guide rails.

IMG_1177.JPG

And here's me getting ready to make the first cut....We had to take off a odd shaped slab( well actually two) before getting to make a full width cut.

IMG_1179.JPG

After the first cut we discovered some heart rot near the top:msp_thumbdn:
But we figured we'd slab it out anyway and work around the rot later.

IMG_1181.JPG

Here's one of the first full width slabs to come off...Still a lot of good wood.

IMG_1183.JPG

Bottom view

IMG_1184.JPG

And on the the next post!

Last edited:
Close up of two slabs waiting to get end over ended to the truck...We tried not to lift the full weight of these at all...Pick up one end and slide..pick up other end and slide...You will note from the pics that neither Ben nor I could be called beefy:laugh:

IMG_1186.JPG

Making our way down through it.

IMG_1185.JPG

More slab closeups.

IMG_1187.JPG

Little perspective shot.

IMG_1188.JPG

This one made us go ooooo ahhhhh :D

IMG_1190.JPG

And one more post!

Close up.

IMG_1191.JPG

And that's all I got!

IMG_1192.JPG

My 2100 worked great and had plenty of power to pull the chain in fact I had to drop the rakers to get it to not almost free rev..
This was the first time I milled something this big and now I see what chainsaw milling is all about.
I have got a few more logs lined up now it's just a matter of finding the time!

We had a ton of fun of fun milling these up and hope ya'll enjoy getting a peek.

Take care!

I see your camera lense has the same speck of milling dust in it as mine does.

Hahaha Yup!:laugh:

I thought for sure it would have a few maple tap holes in it.

I would have too...the owner told me there was some metal in the trunk but we didn't find any in the part we milled.

Very cool!!!! Nice thread, rep sent

Thanks mate.:msp_smile:

Nice post.
I am trying to find time to mill my first logs.
I have a few that are great beginner logs and we will see what happens after that.

Tell us more about your 2100 rebuild. I am just about to start a rebuild of two 2100's.

Well I started milling earlier this year with a 046 and a 28" bar but I needed more power to max out my mills capacity with a 42" bar so I got the 2100 back in December and ran it for a while cutting firewood just to get used to it....After a few tanks it quit oiling and I tore down the oil pump....

I don't know how far you have gotten in to your 2100s yet but the oil pump kind of sets down in a recess in the case and the bearing seal is right behind the pump...When I pulled the pump out of the case the seal came right with it:bang: not that there was much of the seal left.....and to add to the mess when I checked for slop in the bearings the pto side was shot.:cry:

I'm not sure how the saw ran so well with such a vacuum leak but seeing how old these saws are and the pistons/cylinders are getting harder to find I just sucked it up,found all my parts on the bay,split the case,pressed the old bearings out and the new in and put her back together ....

The hardest part of the whole build was getting the flywheel off....I had to cobble together a puller which I bent all to heck trying to get the darn thing off.....ended up heating up the flywheel and really wrenching down on the the puller...I have to say I hate that feeling of cranking on something until I'm SURE something is going to break and then that POP when it comes free...the saw almost flew of my bench!

After the flywheel was off the saw pretty much fell apart and went back together smoothly......as they say the search feature on this site is your best friend :clap::laugh:

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me but there are much more experienced folks around. :D

PS Beautiful maple!

Thanks,I just hope it still looks good in a year or two when it drys!

I am trying to find time to mill my first logs.
I have a few that are great beginner logs and we will see what happens after that.

Be careful it's addicting!:msp_biggrin:

Really like the one at the end of post 3, it looks like a Dodo bird!

Amazing what you find when you open up a tree aint it?

Hahahah! I hadn't seen that till you pointed it out!:D

You been letting those big ole Dolmars eat any wood lately?

No sir,

It rained here for most every day in May. I will get back into it this Fall when the ground cover dies off. I have many Ash trees that need taken down. Going to slab some Posts and beams to enclose the area inside my barn back by the wood stove. But if a good one comes along, I do have a 50" Cannon and longer rails for me mill!

attachment.php

Whew that's one heck of a bar....

And I don't know that much about dolmars what is that saw mounted up to that big ash bar? :hmm3grin2orange:

Amazing what you find when you open up a tree aint it?

Was thinking turkey, but it doesn't matter....the staining is wonderful!

Great photo series. First thing I was thinking was it was an odd place to work on that chunk. But I can see from the size, it had to be done there!

Scott B

Great photo series. First thing I was thinking was it was an odd place to work on that chunk. But I can see from the size, it had to be done there!

Thank you.

Yeah there was no moving that thing! The slabs were heavy enough! :D

Ah, the beauty of a chainsaw mill.

No kidding...It was great to be able to keep at least that much of the tree from going to firewood....Not that firewood isn't awesome and I heat with wood only but there are plenty of trees around with no woodworking value. :laugh:

Back