This evening's maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the good part about that thing drinking like it does is that it's less likely that I'll have to wonder how old the gas in my can is. I just have to think back to the last time I ran the 76. I most assuredly bought fresh gas then.

Ian

That ain't no joke! I've been mixing 5 gallons at a time lately just to make it through the week.

As one who's cut a bit of Western big leaf maple, I can guarantee you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you fund in that log. Or..you'll be unpleasantly surprised by what you find in that log :)

there's only one way to tell though - you gotta take the top off
:greenchainsaw:

Well, I took the tops off today. It has a strange discoloration running down the middle. It was a fantastic day for cutting however so I enjoy every minute of it. I also experimented with different top rail setups. Right in the MIDDLE of my cutting, my neighbor calls and invites me to a salmon bbq tonite. Of course I had to ask if he had any cedar planks which he did not. I quickly grabbed a red cedar cant that I cut a couple of weeks ago and slabbed off some 1/2 planks. I wasn't sure if my 084 with a 404 chain would go that thin but it did! There is probably just as much sawdust as there is plank, but mmmm, does it smell good! You gotta love the PNW! ( I still need to figure out how to imbed the picture)

One thing I saw clearly demonstrated yesterday was how the thirstiness of the 076 depends on the raker settings.

I was using a chain I had not used for some time and I noticed milling was somewhat slower than usual, making a lot more dust than chips and using a whole tank of gas to cut 7 ft of a 9 ft slab! I thought it might have been because the tree I was milling was a dead tree and not as green as a live tree. Eventually I checked the chain rakers and noticed they were a tad high. Switched chain to one with correctly set rakers and got through the next 9 ft slab (which was a little wider) using about 2/3rd of a tank of fuel. It makes sense when you think about it - high rakers is like grinding your way thru a log whereas making chips means less energy wasted in mincing the chips into dust.

Probably an obvious thing to pro millers but I will obviously have to pay a bit more attention to this in the future.

One thing I saw clearly demonstrated yesterday was how the thirstiness of the 076 depends on the raker settings.

I was using a chain I had not used for some time and I noticed milling was somewhat slower than usual, making a lot more dust than chips and using a whole tank of gas to cut 7 ft of a 9 ft slab! I thought it might have been because the tree I was milling was a dead tree and not as green as a live tree. Eventually I checked the chain rakers and noticed they were a tad high. Switched chain to one with correctly set rakers and got through the next 9 ft slab (which was a little wider) using about 2/3rd of a tank of fuel. It makes sense when you think about it - high rakers is like grinding your way thru a log whereas making chips means less energy wasted in mincing the chips into dust.

Probably an obvious thing to pro millers but I will obviously have to pay a bit more attention to this in the future.

That's good to hear. My rakers are pretty high, file took off material with just an 025 guide and it was milling pretty slow. I'll go back next week and try again with freshly sharpened chain and lower rakers.

Ian

How is the beast pulling the chain?

Well, it seems to pull it fine, but I have to get used to how it runs to know when to stop and fiddle with it. It's either loosening up, breaking in, or the carb screws are vibrating in during use. I had to stop after a board or two and richen it up about a 1/4 turn on the H screw to get it pulling again. I didn't bring my tach with me so I couldn't check RPMs. Next time I'll have a tach and a screwdriver. I was lucky the carb screws on that thing are huge. I used a scrench to turn them :jawdrop: . There's definitely a learning curve going from a 14k 372xp to a 10k 076.

Ian

Well, it seems to pull it fine, but I have to get used to how it runs to know when to stop and fiddle with it. It's either loosening up, breaking in, or the carb screws are vibrating in during use. I had to stop after a board or two and richen it up about a 1/4 turn on the H screw to get it pulling again. I didn't bring my tach with me so I couldn't check RPMs. Next time I'll have a tach and a screwdriver. I was lucky the carb screws on that thing are huge. I used a scrench to turn them :jawdrop: . There's definitely a learning curve going from a 14k 372xp to a 10k 076.

Ian
I'm setting up a 42 inch bar with twin 051s. I think I'm beginning to run out of 075/051 series. So instead of an 076 to mill with, I'm going with the double 051. Looks like I'll have an even longer learning curve.

Be careful not to take them down too low....DAMHIKT :bang:

YESSIR! (insert snappy salute) I think I've changed my mind about the 035 and will start higher... maybe see how much the 025 takes off and if not too much, then go to 030 and try that on the mill before going lower. I'e got 2 or 3 more boards on that log to get and then the pine is up.

You're right Terry, I think I'm going to expand the lean-to on the back of the barn. Should be a fairly simple task (famous last words).

Ian

Latest posts

Back