Thoughts of a new saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small saws can cut it

Sometimes what we want and what is possible are two different things. I mean we all want to be able to swing a MS660 around with one hand while using the other to hang on to the vine we're swinging from. However:

A friend of mine was crushed by a tree when he was around 60 yrs old. He was never the same since but continued a very active life. He progressed from the Mac 10-10s to a Husky 66 and finally he picked up a MS018C. Well, that little limbing saw became his primary saw. Not because it cut faster than his 66 but because he could use it. He would lay in his entire supply of wood with that tiny thing.

So while a small saw may not cut as large, fast or look as cool, if you can keep cutting, then small is good.

Take Indiansprings advice to heart. He probably cuts more wood in a year than many of us have cut in 10 so can speak from actual experience on some of the 50cc saws and that may be where you need to be looking.

As I said, I've got the ported Husky 350 that isn't going anywhere and the ported Dolmar 5100s that is just flat happy with a 20" on it. The Dolmar is my new felling saw and does 90% or more of what I want to do and I can run it all day with no problems. The 350 is lighter yet, but it's heading more for backup duty now. One day I may switch it to 3/8's chain and like it better but right now it doesn't compete with the 5100. That 5100 is easily in 361 territory, it's just mean!:hmm3grin2orange:
I'm not ruling out a 261, but right now I've got two 50cc saws that I love and have proven themselves to me to be capable.
I've kicked around the idea of modding up an MS180 or a Dolmar 410/420 to see what can be done, but the design isn't friendly and the information I've gathered says it' will be work to get a 16" happy in Oak. So I think I'll stay in the 50cc class for my main saw, at least right now.
The saw I'm thinking of will be my "big" saw for the 10% I can't do with the smaller bars. I've gotten better using short bars and learning more and more how to do that properly as I can safely.
But I've got a lightning struck Cedar, 36" at the base, hollow, twisted, just nasty! The 046 will take it down, but I'm looking for something with that type of capability, but less weight, or even smaller so I don't have that capability?:hmm3grin2orange:

sawinredneck, Sir I would like at this time to make an apology for my post in this thread. I was out of line and I tend to get into a tangent when health is concerned.All that I am able to tell you is that what I mentioned worked well for me.I hope that you will understand.I am human and have been known to make a foe~pau or two.Sometimes it is difficult for me to remember that we are all different medically and know to medical conditions are exactly identical.I hope that you will understand my meaning, Ken

We're good, your intentions were good, your heart was in the right place and it's something I haven't discussed a lot, so you had no idea what I've done or not done. I also come off a bit bitter about it so it's easy to make assumptions.
No worries!

A 440/044 (13 lbs) with reduced weight bar would probably do just about anything and be lighter. I believe you will have oiler problems on any 60 cc saws pulling greater than a 24" bar.

If a 362 is too heavy, you may be SOL trying to cut large wood.

Last edited:
The 362 isn't too heavy, I just don't like the saw! Between it and a 440, there isn't a bit of difference in weight. The 441 is just about as heavy as my 046.
Maybe if I opened up a 361, but I'd still know I could have more from the 440 etc.....................

I'm fully aware of what is causing the pain, I broke my back a year ago last August. 25% compression fracture at T11 and a blown disc at L5. Had the injections, been on the pills, PT, the works. I'm screwed, period.
I'm just trying to find ways to work within my means now.

Inversion table. 12 blown disks here, docs wanted me to go full spinal rods, I refused. Therapy for a long time, then on my own, now my doctor is my relatively inexpensive inversion table. No pills, nothing else. I even got back to work full/part time, when the docs first warned I would be in a wheelchair or maybe if I was lucky a walker. Do farm work, cut all my wood, split by hand, all of it. Not ever back to 100%, but a good solid 50%!

I have 3-4 episodes a year with some bad spasms, but since I got the table, they have gotten less frequent, and much less severe. Those things work! At least they did for me, YMMV of course.

All I got to offer ya besides good luck! You *can* get better, just takes paying attention to your body and pushing it just a little. Not a lot, just a steady every day push it a scosh.

A 044/440 is right around 14lbs dry so it's only a lb lighter than the 046. I think you would be happy with a 555 or 562 if they ever come out. It is around 12 lbs dry and should pull a 24" pretty good once broken in. It's pulling a 20" 3/8s in whatever wood I put it in with no complaints.

Latest posts

Back