Thoughts on this apple tree...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeInParadise

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Out at the woodlot I discovered this apple tree growing under another tree..

It had two apples on it last year and I am wondering how to trim it to try and get some fruit off of it without taking down the tree behind it(Blocks the wind coming off the ocean, which is a good thing).

Do you think that it is worth trying to get to produce fruit or will the other tree just get in the way. It is in a full sun area for most of the day.

Any advice would be appreciated.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

MikeInParadise

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Gee no comments... Strange to have you guys tongue tied! :confused:

I pruned the apple tree back today. It was a real mess and I have no idea what I am doing :newbie: so I probably took off too much!

I guess time will tell the results. I trimmed the bottom branches off the spruce and took out a small ingrown spruce as well.

Attached are pictures of my handiwork. Any comments are welcome as I have no idea what I am doing here!

attachment.php

M.D. Vaden

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
If its on the east side or the north side of the big trees, it may not produce. If on the west or south, that's better.

One key to apple, is to save a few watersprouts and develop them into fruit bearing spurs rather than cutting all sprouts off the tree.

You trim job looks okay for a beginner. At least for visual appeal.

kevinj

kevinj

Whatarya, Goofy?
If it were my tree, I would prune it back this spring,
to prepare it for transplanting next spring.
Then this fall root prune about 20 inches out from the base.
Use an English spade. A sharp straight edged shovel.
This will ensure a good clean cut, rather than a deflective cut, which can injure the roots, caused by a rounded shovel.
If you transplant this fall, make sure you water thourghly with a mixture of liquid seaweed and water.
This reduces transplant shock.
Hope this helps. ;)

:cheers: