Throw another log on the fire, the groundhog's seen his shadow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Reaction score
Hopefully everyone's wood supply will hold up. I figured that whistle pig would get the spooks come Groundhog Day. Still got about 3.5 cords in the barn, so he can go on out again tomorrow and heap on an additional 6 weeks of winter for all I care.

Happy Candlemas everyone. And for any pagans, a good Imbolc to you too!(A kind of Sadie Hawkins Day of woodboogerin')

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbolc

Imbolc is also named as the day the Cailleach, where the hag of Gaelic tradition gathers her firewood for the rest of the winter. Legend has it that if she intends to make the winter last a good while longer, she will make sure the weather on Imbolc is bright and sunny, so she can gather plenty of firewood. Therefore, it is seen as a good omen if Imbolc is a day of foul weather, as it means the Cailleach is asleep and winter is almost over.

Punxsutawney Phil's text: Better late than never

capt.3f1f371e78234b3db500d12e9059c780.aptopix_groundhog_day_pagp101.jpg

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. – Punxsutawney Phil might be an expert at shadow spotting, but texting? Not so much.

About two hours after the famous groundhog "saw" his shadow and predicted six more weeks of winter, the rodent's inaugural stab at text-messaging appeared. Phil also sent a Twitter update at about that time.

Officials with the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club didn't immediately return calls about Phil's texting skills.

German tradition holds that if a hibernating animal sees its shadow on Feb. 2 — the Christian holiday of Candlemas — winter will last another six weeks. If no shadow is seen, legend says spring will come early.

The Inner Circle annually announces Phil's forecast at dawn on Gobbler's Knob, about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.

I say bring it on. This is my first year with my woodburning stove, and am feeling like I'm just hitting my stride with it.

I live in Pa, so I might enjoy the whole groundhog day thing more than most

Ground Hog is Sharpening Claws

I'll never burn all that I have stacked and dry this year, even running 24 hours. My annual haul is now 8 cords and that usually does it for me. I've got over four cords left.

Best part is that I've saved the really hard stuff for last. But, it still loves to mix with the softer stuff. Second best part is that LOML is helping me load the stove and keep it hot. :clap:

Last edited:
Here in Minnesota it doesn't matter whether the ground hog sees his shadow or not, we're still guaranteed six more weeks of winter!! We can still get a blizzard in March!! Watch what the temperature is when the Twins move to their new open air stadium and start playing outdoor baseball in early April!!

Here in Minnesota it doesn't matter whether the ground hog sees his shadow or not, we're still guaranteed six more weeks of winter!! We can still get a blizzard in March!! Watch what the temperature is when the Twins move to their new open air stadium and start playing outdoor baseball in early April!!

Why would they make an open air stadium in Minnesota? Home field advantage? Colorado thought so, but the Phillies had a different opinion :)

Money. It saved them about $120 million. Or think about November evening World Series baseball (if the Twins ever get back). It could easily be in the 20's. Is that good baseball?

Money. It saved them about $120 million. Or think about November evening World Series baseball (if the Twins ever get back). It could easily be in the 20's. Is that good baseball?

That's what I was thinking. I'm not sure if watching a bunch of guys freezing their @$$es off is good baseball or not. The Phils/Colorado series wasn't that great IMO. But I'm a hockey guy.

Good! I was worried I would not use up all the wood I carried into the basement this winter. I am sure not going to carry it back out!!!! If the damn thing is wrong I will fix him in the spring with the 26-06.

My Cailleach woke up and he is running amok down here.

The only good thing about winter is....carp......the only good thing about winter is......
Oh, thats right.I dont have to mow the friggin lawn.

Yay! Only six more weeks of winter...So the end of March and April will be swimsuit weather huh?

6 cords down so far, got 4 more left of this years, and enough dry already for next year that I can dip into it if I need it. My wood use goes way down once we start seeing highs above freezing on a regular basis. This usually happens close to the end of this month here.

I'm still pruning Bushes and clearing ditchlines.

I ain't ready for Mud season yet. I told that varmint I'd stick a 55gr Berger VLD in his grape if we have a thaw.

He gets to live another year, unlike his family here.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It's all BS and everybody knows it. February always sucks, and most of March hovers between sucking and all but sucking. Except for woodburning, this whole firewood deal really helps me get through the winter.

Jack

I've been blending a little of next year's wood with this year's wood for about 2 weeks now. Next year's wood seems to be dry and burning well so I won't run out this year.

My problem is, if I burn to much of next year's wood this year, I might get short next year. With all the snow and ice we have had this winter I haven't been able to get much woodcutting done. All I have is 3 cords of Red Oak cut, split and piled. I don't think it will be dry enough to burn next year. I need to find some dead Ash to cut early this spring so I will have enough wood for next year.

haven't touched any hardwood yet.
started using my 'actual' firewood december 1st. before then i was burning brush clippings, leaves i've bagged up during the fall, all the bark and splinters that falls off the wood splitter, etc etc.

just broke into my 3rd row few days ago. i can do roughly 2 1/2 cord a month of straight softwood. i put up 4 rows, each row ~2 1/2 cord.

my 10 cord of oak is still nicely untouched and tarped. :)

been burning strictly basswood, pine, and popular.

Pressurised indoor boiler to modified non-pressure OWB, and i hate it. door and fb are too small.

i thought peta wackos made those guys replace phil with a robotic woodchuck ?:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back