Throw Line Retrieval

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you use/retrieve throwline?

• Don't use throwline

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Pile on ground in between throws

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Pile in 5 gallon bucket

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Pile in something smaller

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Use Sherrill Spool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use other Spooling

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Stuff in NewTribe line bage between all shots

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

TheTreeSpyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Was wondering what people used, how well spools worked; especially on repeated shots.

P.S. to avert any other possible, concievable confusioun, i incorrectly (i guess) and collectively referred to upper priced methods of storage/retreival such as 'winding devices' that 'whirl' on a 'spinner' or 'reels' line as a SPOOLING! i sin-searingly give all of the apology write-fully due to this tress-pass.:D i am but a passionate student on a journey; i still would apprecitae your comments on the viablility, tradeoffs, economics of such choices.

Dang, guess i should have suggested a refrence area 'on site' that would define how such things might be classed for more positive commune-ication!

Last edited:
I splurged and bought the New Tribe throwline bag for $16 a couple months ago. Since getting the BigShot, multiple throws are a thing of the past. I shoot the line directly out of the bag, then flake it on the ground while pulling my rope through. Then I flake it back in the bag.

On the rare occassion that I need to make 2 throws, I flake it on the ground. A 5 gallon pail would be nice, but I have limited space to tote extra stuff around. All my gear and 2 saws go in my truckbox on my Ranger.

It is not called a spool kenny! It is called the Golden Retriever or Big Shot Line Reel. Do you make up names for everything? On page seven of Sherrill's catalog there is a reference to "spooling" line can be time consuming. I dont think you should be confusing spooling line and using the Golden retriever or Big Shot Line Reel.

Throwline

I have a small line bag for my Zing it and a handline spool for some spectra.Mostly I use the Zing it out of the bag then pile on ground for 2nd or 3rd or 4th throws.I use the Big Shot rarely only on big trees.It can be set up with a fishing spool with thin line for shots over 150'.

Re: Throwline

Originally posted by Rob Murphy
....Mostly I use the Zing it out of the bag then pile on ground for 2nd or 3rd or 4th throws.I use the Big Shot rarely only on big trees.......

Well, I never learned the art of throwing a throwbag very well, and I'm using the bigshot on just about every lineset. Even on 40'-50' shots. Since I got it, I haven't had to shoot more than 2X to set a line. No more 3rd and 4th (and 25th) shots for me!

Oh, using the Zing-It and a 10 oz. bag, I shot about 140' high. :p

Big Shot

Yeh i know the Big Shot is great and after about the 25th shot I will get it out:rolleyes: ...or maybe before...BUT i figure Iam still only learning to use a throwline and want to get my eye/hand in....
Do you think their will eventually be a Big shot event at TCC"S

I use spectra, which has a mind of it's own. If left out of the bag it will find every twig withing 5 feet. And I've found that if I don't use the same 4 inch stuff every time, it will birdsnest when pulled out the next time.

Only if I'm making several short climbs where I cannot transfer in the canopy will I leave it out of the bag.

For small diameter throwline and a bucket the Golden Retriever works nice. With larger line you can't slip the line in the middle without modifying the GR. Not hard to do if you use Slick line or similar.

I use a Cube for my throwlines mostly. I really like Zing It! I'm waiting for the QVC order, should be here tomorrow. When the cube is folded it goes into the rope pack with my 200' static line. Inside the cube I made a divider out of a sheet of corrugated plastic so I can carry two throwlines in one container. Simple compexity.

Since last April I've spent one day per week doing scientific sampling with an entomologist. We work out in the woods and I can't flake line back onto the ground. The Interdimensional Creatures twist twigs and burrs in if I turn my back on the line. Out in the woods the Big Shot is in it's prime. Because of all the underbrush and unpruned trees I can't get back far to throw. Even with the BS I have to sometimes make multi shots.

Tom

I store throwline in 3 gal bucket.. and once on the job I like to flake it out on a small tarp.. quick flaking and easy to move.. no worrries about snags or bunching.. backyards..woods..no problem.
I never got the twist out of the line, so I coil back into the bucket once all lines are set.. sometimes 4 or 5 in a shooting session.
I've been using 16 oz. with slick line.. will shoot from a 12' pole for anything over 80'. I like the heavy weight cause it comes back.. I did buy some zing-it and have yet to try it.. Also plan on checking out the cubes.. maybe New Tribe bag too... The 3 gal bucket is a little bulky..
So that all works.. from the ground.. How many of you are using throwline in the tree? I don't come across the need too often and would love to have the option as it would broaden the never-ending horizon of possibilities... fun to get creative..
So I Am thinking a wrist rocket with low weight and zing from a bag might work well in a tree. Perhaps a reel would be better.. Have the recreational climbers put something like that together yet?... Somebody should....Maybe Sherrill???? Where can we buy that set-up or at least get a wrist rocket?
Also I plan on buying the trble hook from New tribe... any suggestions? How do you avoid getting it stuck?
Thanks and God Bless,
Daniel

I think it was New Tribe’s catalog I read it in, but nylon throwline stuffs easier into a bag (line mug) while in a tree. I bought some small diameter nylon and it is better to work with up in the tree. I use a 3 ounce throw weight. But I usually can get by just tossing my line with the splice in it. Good for short pitches, but I need the trowline on longer ones.

There aren't a lot of times through the year when I use a throwline in the tree. When I do, it saves me a lot of work. The new Grapnel from New Tribe is great! I bought a small fishing reel and put on some Kevlar line that I got from Sherrill a while back. The reel stays in the NT pouch and I just toss. When I need to put the line away I take out the reel and pull in a lunker.

Mahk Adams and I are doing a throwline demo at TCI Expo. I'll have my Grapnel to show you guys how to use it.

The QVC cubes came today. The material seems like it will work OK. I'm going to see if the small or medium cube will work. Since there are three sizes they might nest together somehow. Sewing project for the weekend!

Tom

Throw Line Tools

My "IN TREE" throwbag setup is simple. Around a 9" diameter kite string spool I have wound 150 feet of 135 pound test braided Dacron cord that is flourescent orange. This is a low stretch, high visiblity, stout cord used in deep sea fishing to pull something called a "planer board". I am in Kansas have no idea what that is but 5 cents a foot for this cord is worth it. The spool costs 10 bucks and I hold the cord on the spool with a tarp bungee that has been sized down with a half-hitch. That loop clips on to a utility biner with a 10 ounce throwbag onto my harness. You can toss right off the spool or pay out line any lenght line you need. I have the grapnel hook clipped on also after I saw Tom Dunlap pull a line over from a neighboring tree to set up a Tree-Tree Traverse. If you guys cant find the parts I can custom build you whatever you want. New Tribe is now selling my Rope Sleeves and I have many tools that I would be willing to share.

On the ground I store Spectra Kite String on a 9 in spool just like above. Two different strenghts allow me to shoot light and pull strong pilot lines up and over. I shoot a 4 ounce weight with a home-made Big Shot over 100 feet. To hand toss I have tied a loop in the cord so the bag will not drag the ground when I spin it. A finger in the loop will let you spin it hard and release easy. Be sure to check out the closest Kite Store for good gear.

Back