Passive lowering line retrieval tool for climbing saddle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jomoco

Tree Freak
Reaction score
About a month ago I was doing some fairly serious speedlining and getting a bit frustrated at having to leave my way out there lateral position on a major leader to retrieve my speedline after each limb or piece of wood was sent down to the LZ successfully.

Being an older climber that's somewhat of an othopedic wreck, I am always whining to myself that there must be an easier less physically demanding to go about my job, and retrieving that line was gettin old big time!

That's when the idea of a passive lowering line retrieval leash hit me as a very sneaky, but potentially dangerous new saddle component that would be slicker than snot to use to alleviate my senior citizen woes in the treetops.

That very day at lunch I cut the metal tape out of my spencers rotary spring powered logging tape, and respooled it with nylon throwbag line with a simple large thumb snap dogleash connector on the end.

After lunch with my new invention attached to the left side of my climbing saddle I went back up to give my new invention a whirl. It worked pretty much flawlessly until I exceeded it's total length on the fourth piece speedlined, the line I could fit on the spool was about 25 feet, and the fourth piece was about 30 feet away from where the main speedline came to rest as it was tightened as the piece went down, this tore the nylon line off the spencer tape spool on my leftside, giving me a little tug before breaking.

I'm convinced that this retractable dog leash, along with two carabiners would work well in situation when you are less than 20 feet from the lowering/speed line's point of support and it's lateral distance from you.

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?FamilyID=12616

It will work well within those parameters in my opinion.

And for any of you that don't understand eactly what I've described here, it's probably best that you don't try this new technique of mine, It has the potential of being very dangerous if you don't understand exactly how it works, and how to put a weak link in it to ensure it only breaks itself if it fails for any reason.

It really is cool to be able to rig my pieces as usual, but the very last thing I do before making my cut is snapping my line retrieval tool above onto the speed/lowering line above the target piece, knowing that when I make the cut the leash will go out like line on a fishing reel from my leftside until it stops at center of support and the piece is on the ground safely and the piece untied from it and slack is given in the line, at which point I can pull the leash line and retrieve the main line without having to move even once from my cutting point out laterally in the tree!

So what say you guys who rope down trees for a living?

Does my tool strike you as dangerous and lazy?

Or slicker than snot if used properly within the tool's usable range?

Tear me up here boys!

jomoco

That sounds pretty slick. Could you effectively anchor the retractable line to the tree with a sling (at your working position) so it isn't on your saddle, or would this require to much moving it around?

I would say that having it on your saddle would never fly with safety regs. I do like it a lot though.

To me, negating the danger inherant in attaching a dynamic line however passive and small to your own saddle is a piece of cake if you purposefully create two separate weak links in the tool itself.

I accomplish this very simply by using plastic zip ties of varying size and breaking points. If something goes wong I want my first breaking point between the carabiner attached to the lowering line an the end of the dogleash, I chooe a ziptie that breaks at20-25 pounds of pull connecting those two points as my chosen first line of protection.

But what happens if the leashline itself becomes tangled? Again a distinct and almost inevitable event? This is protected against in the very same manner by placing zipties that break at 40-50 pounds pull between your saddle attachment and the body of the leash retrieval unit itself.

In effect apurpose built double tear away safety failsafe design.

Work safe guys!

jomoco

It sounds like a great idea!

Usually when I'm speedlining I give the speed line a redirect right near where I'm cutting so getting the speedline back is not a big issue. I do see your idea's application though and it's a good one.

I understand exactly what you mean by a speedline redirect attachment point allowing for far less slack and far more ease in retrieval Treeco, and I do exactly that until other factors like achieving lift to avoid targets come into play along with other strategic imperatives.

But you make an excellent point about how to maintain a nearby taught speedline anchoring point whenever possible.

I like talkin with guys that have actually done this crazy stuff!

jomoco

Last edited:
Sounds like a good deal ,except I go to great lengths to not have any thing at all tug on myself or gear.If you terminate it at the tree within a few feet it would still be beneficial.

Sounds like a good deal ,except I go to great lengths to not have any thing at all tug on myself or gear.If you terminate it at the tree within a few feet it would still be beneficial.

Attaching to the tree while feasible and in some situations even advisable, would me a major pain in certain situations. To me, trust in your tools and techniques is essential in their success and ease of use.

But everyone already knows I'm crazy!

Got to go rope a lemon euc down guys, I'll check in with yu later.

jomoco

Put it on the end of a breakaway bungie lanyard. Maybe it would have to much slack that way though, tight to the belt is probably best. Something cheap to replace like the small ziptie you suggest would probably work well.

I was thinking what Treeco said (redirect) for 75% of the work, but this idea would have merit in certain applications. It really isn't much different (safety wise) than clipping a handline to your saddle and running up to tie a limb off. Things can be pulled, but it should all be controlled, like not over extending it.

I'd use it, make mine a 50 footer. I still don't think OSHA is going to want to here about a rigging device strapped to the climber.

Maybe I will just clip a biner on the end of the Spencer tape.

Last edited:
Don't think I didn't search for 50 foot long retracting dog leashes Nails, cause I did, and a 26 footer was the longest I found unfortunately.

Believe it or not I'm toying with the idea of using a very lightweight and streamlined fishing reel with a drag adjustment to accomplish the exact same task of lowering/speedline retrieval from my saddle.

jomoco

Yes! On a breakaway it would be sweet, just reel em' in, lol. Now excuse me, I have to get to Gander.

It seems like the firearm or fishing reel is always the answer.

Last edited:
About a month ago I was doing some fairly serious speedlining and getting a bit frustrated at having to leave my way out there lateral position on a major leader to retrieve my speedline after each limb or piece of wood was sent down to the LZ successfully.

Being an older climber that's somewhat of an othopedic wreck, I am always whining to myself that there must be an easier less physically demanding to go about my job, and retrieving that line was gettin old big time!

That's when the idea of a passive lowering line retrieval leash hit me as a very sneaky, but potentially dangerous new saddle component that would be slicker than snot to use to alleviate my senior citizen woes in the treetops.

That very day at lunch I cut the metal tape out of my spencers rotary spring powered logging tape, and respooled it with nylon throwbag line with a simple large thumb snap dogleash connector on the end.

After lunch with my new invention attached to the left side of my climbing saddle I went back up to give my new invention a whirl. It worked pretty much flawlessly until I exceeded it's total length on the fourth piece speedlined, the line I could fit on the spool was about 25 feet, and the fourth piece was about 30 feet away from where the main speedline came to rest as it was tightened as the piece went down, this tore the nylon line off the spencer tape spool on my leftside, giving me a little tug before breaking.

I'm convinced that this retractable dog leash, along with two carabiners would work well in situation when you are less than 20 feet from the lowering/speed line's point of support and it's lateral distance from you.

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?FamilyID=12616

It will work well within those parameters in my opinion.

And for any of you that don't understand eactly what I've described here, it's probably best that you don't try this new technique of mine, It has the potential of being very dangerous if you don't understand exactly how it works, and how to put a weak link in it to ensure it only breaks itself if it fails for any reason.

It really is cool to be able to rig my pieces as usual, but the very last thing I do before making my cut is snapping my line retrieval tool above onto the speed/lowering line above the target piece, knowing that when I make the cut the leash will go out like line on a fishing reel from my leftside until it stops at center of support and the piece is on the ground safely and the piece untied from it and slack is given in the line, at which point I can pull the leash line and retrieve the main line without having to move even once from my cutting point out laterally in the tree!

So what say you guys who rope down trees for a living?

Does my tool strike you as dangerous and lazy?

Or slicker than snot if used properly within the tool's usable range?

Tear me up here boys!

jomoco
Hey, I think you might just invent " The Sky Hook",
Jeff Lovstrom

Hey, I think you might just invent " The Sky Hook",
Jeff Lovstrom

Close Jeff, but it was called The Sky Spider, I invented it way back in 95 as a result of a powered tree ascension unit John Hendricksen financed a few years previous.

But rather than attaching the unit to a tree, the sky spider is a telescoping crane with a compound hose assembly in place of a steel cable. The operator attaches himself to the end of the hose assembly on a constant swivel, and has control of the crane's functions from there via fiber optic controls, kinda like the newer cranes and cement pumpers have now.

It will be built someday and put puny bucket trucks to shame, just like it would have done back in 95 if bob felix and the asplundh family actually wanted to lead the way into 21st century arboriculture rather than put the brakes to it like they did so many years ago.

jomoco

Back