Throwbag redemption

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you made that throw.

you got a better arm than me.I never could throw anything well actually.

I would be screwed without the Bigshot.

Sure thing. Here it is with a 6oz throwball, shown for scale on the pocket. (the 12oz throwball is propping it up for the camera). The handle folds up and makes the whole thing about 1/3rd as long. Sadly, the newer design pictured in the links below does not look like it folds up.

I got the idea for this in another thread here at AS; the slingshot is marketed as a tennis ball launcher for dogs. Ho! Ho! Ho! You need to be pretty strong to shoot a tennis ball further than a reasonably healthy person can throw a tennis ball. On the other hand, if you have an injured shoulder and can't throw worth a hoot, this is a nice option. If you need accuracy, this is a good way to get it.

It is excellent for 30'-40' (max) shots with a 6oz throwing weight straight up under a dense canopy. Right where you need it most, when the big shot is big overkill and the angle is all wrong for throwing. 20' shots are just a turkey shoot.

Here is a good link for where to get it: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=0c6a9044-3319-46d6-9977-33fae7c90cf2
Only $25, with free freight included! The picture in the link looks like they have re-designed it so that there is better leverage on the "Y" part of the slingshot. Notice that the ball holder on my unit is above the handgrip, whereas the link shows it below the I'll bet the new version is even better. The rubbers on the newer design look different, too. Mine are black/opaque (like a big shot), and the new ones are yellow/clear.

I bought mine here: http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&pf_id=0028632 $26.90 with shipping.

attachment.php

I store the 6oz & the 12oz bags inside the cube I got from Sherrill. This is SO much better than anything else I tried before. If you already have a cube, this will help you get a good idea about the size of the slingshot.
attachment.php

Sorry man. I just can't bring myself to hug a thorny honey locust. I don't like trees that much.

I was looking at the same thing at our local Cabelas a few months ago. I did not end up getting it yet but now I think I will.

Cabelas Hyperdog

Last edited:
I have had a Hyperdog slingshot for years but recently broke my rubber band and the company said they did not have replacements (so you would buy new I guess) now I can order one. Thanks for the link.

Jefferspet is out and don't plan for more, I tried to get one today no luck will have try again
I went ahead and bought the other one, have zing-it, I'll go out and buy a lite bag. I do have an Big shot but i like this smaller more compact & could be good for hunting cats hand full of gravel

Last edited:
It came in , now to compair it to Big Shot, I think for a hand held it could be good, As soon as the Rain stops we;ll try
Tried a half dozen shots, will have to find a more round bag the one I have to oblong rolls out top or bottom Golf ball size hunk of Lead, 2' cannon ball, big sinker may work better and if not we still have the cats

Last edited:
BUMP...

The story gets better, and I've left it a bit long to acknowledge this!

I received an unsolicited gift in the mail from a member here...a BIG SHOT head, a throwline reel packed with braided orange throwline (I'm embarassed to say I don't know which kind of line)and a spiffy new 12oz throwbag, with a micro clip.

I am flabergasted that someone would do that...the 'brotherhood of tree climbers' is alive and well. THANK YOU...can I say who it was? PM me and say yea or nay...

So a bit of a report, already the heavier throwbag is paying dividends, I was going too light with the 10oz, the 12 is easier to control, less heaving to get it to go as high as the 10.

I have to fashion some poles for the big shot head, got two 5' wooden poles from the hardware store, making a fitting to join them.
I find the pull on the big shot to be really heavy, at the moment I find it difficult to pull it back far enough to get a descent toss. I'm going to have to fashion a release mechanism...seen the one Moss has, will probably do something similar.

BASIC question, which way around do you hold the BS..pouch on my side or pouch on far side of the pole?

Now, I just need some big trees to justify the bigshot! It's all been tiddlers and bucket work lately!

Thank-you, thank-you...words are not enough, both here and on other arborist forums, I am constantly heartened by the generosity and willingness to help fellow tree workers. Cut through the bombast and flame wars, and there are some seriously decent people out there, the cost of sending this package overseas was not insubstantial, I owe you one...:cheers:

Wow! Why didn't I get one when I was asking around?:laugh:

Bermie they don't recommend using wooden poles for the big shot. They could snap and do some damage. Fiberglass is what they want you to use. Good luck with it.

Who was the sport?:popcorn:

Bermie, shoot it like this:

media.jpg

You need to either get an 8' Jamison pole or two 4 footers. The 4 footers stow easier. I like to shoot a 16 ounce weight with mine. Seems perfect for me and keeps me from overshooting too much.

Congrats on the great gift! Not positive but I've got a pretty good guess of who sent you the gift. And yes, I agree, he is a first rate guy. ;)

............ :Eye::Eye:

I heard it was Luke who sent it.

Anyway, I suppose it's OK to say that you have an enviable package, Bermie.

Bermie, I've got huge-azz trees here, and still throw probably 8 out of 10 times. I'm glad the 12 oz is working a little better, that's good to know.

I fire mine off the hip, always have. I've tried firing the bigshot about every way one can imagine doing it, but I find deadly, consistent accuracy, I mean amazingly accurate accuracy, shooting off the hip. There's a $2 rubber cap for the bottom end of the pole, it helps. I use a 6 foot pole and it seems perfect. A pole can be shortened for shorter reaches.

I use an 8' jamerson pole. Off the hip, TM? I use a green 30 gal barrel and that way I can sight it without spending the extra doe on a 4' pole.

Right then...TM, say thanks to Luke...:Eye::Eye: and you...;):cheers:

Point taken on the wood vs fiberglass poles, and which way round to fire it MD.

Some of you may not understand how isolated we are out here, we import everything often at great additional cost for shipping and duty, and to shoot the breeze with other arborists doesn't happen often. Say someone like me, gets qualified, comes home, starts to work, I don't get to see different gear, get the chance to try it out, unless someone happens to have it here, like one of the other three arborists, so the opportunities to be able to talk shop, and try new gear is few and far between. I value the internet forums, the information that it freely traded all for the betterment of our work peformance and personal safety. Thank you from the middle of the Atlantic!:cheers::cheers:

BUMP...
I received an unsolicited gift in the mail from a member here...a BIG SHOT head, a throwline reel packed with braided orange throwline (I'm embarassed to say I don't know which kind of line)and a spiffy new 12oz throwbag, with a micro clip.

That is AWESOME, some guys are just freaking cool!

Many years ago, when I first started, I had a phone call from Vermeer that I had some stuff to pick up? "WHAT'S VERMEER?" I said, figured it out and went over there, nice little bundle of knowledge. The Tree Climbers Handbook, ANSI Pruning Standard's, Best practices books and a bunch a misc. slings and biners. All new stuff with a little note inside the TCH that said "learn it, master it, repay it with good work, have fun and stay safe"
Still to this day I don't know who sent it, I will say though, I have my suspects, one is that great big guy up north! Not Santa, JPS!
I asked him years ago, he said he new nothing! Thought maybe it was Brain Koticiwa (sp?) as I met him when I met JPS.
Anyways, when it happens, its hard not to smile when ya think about it!
Very Cool, VERY COOL!

So, too the secret santa
:yourock::cheers:

That is AWESOME, some guys are just freaking cool!

Many years ago, when I first started, I had a phone call from Vermeer that I had some stuff to pick up? "WHAT'S VERMEER?" I said, figured it out and went over there, nice little bundle of knowledge. The Tree Climbers Handbook, ANSI Pruning Standard's, Best practices books and a bunch a misc. slings and biners. All new stuff with a little note inside the TCH that said "learn it, master it, repay it with good work, have fun and stay safe"
Still to this day I don't know who sent it, I will say though, I have my suspects, one is that great big guy up north! Not Santa, JPS!
I asked him years ago, he said he new nothing! Thought maybe it was Brain Koticiwa (sp?) as I met him when I met JPS.
Anyways, when it happens, its hard not to smile when ya think about it!
Very Cool, VERY COOL!

So, too the secret santa
:yourock::cheers:

It was me; up here in northern Ohio. No need to thank me but I'm a little short on cash. If you could start a check my way we'll call it even.
Phil-a-claus

SOMETHING tells me PhilaClause wasn't the original gifter.
It may forever be a mystery who it was.

So Bermie, this appears to be an opportunity for one and all. You are the author of the thread, "Throwline nightmare", as well as this thread. You have spelled out the problems you are having, and between the text and the gift you've been sent, you have solutions.

We're taking you from a primitive, basic means of shotline management,
all the way to the far other end of the spectrum, where the 'work' of using a shotline becomes fun, and the challenges and nightmares become solutions.
You go from tangles to income. The sooner that rope is set and shotline put away, the sooner you can do your arborist duties. Less time futzing, more time being a productive tree care professional. These are the goals of your gift pack..... I would imagine.... :cheers:

attachment.php

For real...
When training, not a lot of time is spent on throwbag stuff, more alternate lanyard and climbline and get up that way, teaches you rope management, setting the second system, preloading, detaching etc...

Moving out to the work world, bypassing that safe but somewhat slow method entails setting a nice high line, and the only way to do that is with the throwbag.

Finding the right bag weight, the right throw method...then the right accessory for the really high shots, all add up to getting a line up quicky and accurately.

The conversations here have been invaluable, made me go out and try new stuff and I have experienced improvement...the animals are safe to leave out in your garden now...now, the opportunity to move to the next level...provided by the TM!!!:cheers:

I'll report in as and when I get the chance to use the bigshot...felling and bucket work for the next few days. ALthough I might need to set a few pulling ropes for some of the felling, its kinda near the power!!

Back