Timberwolf Woodchippers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought a Timberwolf 6" 35hp deisel. It was built in 2000, might have been Entec. On some stuff it fills up with chips and gets blocked. In particular, it happens with leylandii (especially the green bits rather than logs) and elder logs. It cuts ok but doesn't seem to blow the chips out. From what I can see, everything that should be on the flywheel is present and correct. Any ideas?

the 3 drive belts are probably loose. As the no stress is on the engine the machine thinks everything is ok but the rotor is slowing down. To tighten remove offside side panel and you will see the adjuster pulley. Slacken 19mm bolt quarter turn and wind in 13mm nut until belts are tight. (They need to be very tight.You should just be able to twist one about 90 dgrees). Retighten 19mm and try it then. You can also have the machine converted to run the new style fans. Upto twice the blow. Your local dealer RJ Holland in Long Eaton (Simon) 0115 9461127 can give you a quote.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the belts as you suggest. I haven't heard any squealing or other evidence of belts slipping,and they're tight enough to slow down the engine on bigger hard wood logs to the point where the no stress kicks in. Just out of interest, do the older machines (c.2000) suffer from lack of fan power? Just wondering why they put out new style fans. I've just been using a 2 year old tracked version of this chipper on soft woods like poplar and willow. It seemed to chuck the chips that bit further. The fella I hired it from said that as a rule they don't get blocked. Perhaps new fans are the way to go..if the belt tension thing doesn't work...

Other than that, I'm very pleased with it..

Machines older than 2002 did have less blow than newer machines. In 2002 Entec's R&D team produced a machine with a clear perspex rotor housing. It didnt last long but was able to give loads of info as to how fans work. New fans were developed and fitted in machines from June 2002. Another benefit you get from fitting new fans is that the rotor is slowed by approx 200rpm. Thats 200 cuts less per blade, per minute which helps increase blade life.

Last edited:
Maybe the upgraded fan kit is the way to go. Belt tension is ok, but it got blocked again yesterday. On logs around 4-6" it chips them ok, and the nostress kicks in, but a lot of the chips barely fall out of the chute. They're not being thrown out like I'd expect. This was hawthorn.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far :)

Back