Time to send the old girl into retirement.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curlycherry1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, I got her in about 1980 or 1982 and I put at least 3 full years of firewood on her. Between 500 and 700 face cords per year with only a little help from some of the Homelite 925s I had in the stable. She ran well and never gave me any fits and I bet she has all of 1300-1500 hours on her clock if she had one.

But the newer chickies are lighter and they have safety brakes so it is time to put the girl out on retirement. I will keep her around and give her a thrill once in a while but alas, her new partner arrived today from Ebay. He came with a 32" bar, so I got him a shortie to use for day to day cutting. Have not fired him up yet, but he seems to be happy in his new home. Nice shiny new MS660. He feels like a feather by comparison to the old girl.

PB250013.jpg

PB250010.jpg

PB250022.jpg

Just so's you know...I run a retirement home for chainsaws.

Plenty of time outdoors, and Bingo every Thursday.

Looks like grandpa and and his lean strong , grandson.
I like the OEM dual port cover from the earliar 066 on my 660 . As far as I know I believe its good to go as far as being approved by the forest service for use on public land .etc..
I lost my first 066mag and it was a rough go not having 1 after getting a taste of it. Picked up a well used 660, usually run a 25" hardnose 3/8 50 gauge 8 pin sprocket, but I have an 32" sprocket nose for the occasional extra biggy I get.

I have 3 off the old ones and the are heavy as hell but I find it hard to put them down for the new saws because of the brute power of the old ones.( p.s. I got her twin if you want to send her home Ill give you the shipping info....hell Ill even pay the shipping....lol)

There is only one area that I can think of where that 051 will still shine: cutting stumps off low to the ground, or slightly below ground level. My own personal experience has shown me that these new saws just turn too fast for that kind of work. They turn so fast that a combination of higher speed, tougher grain, larger diameter at the ground, plus a little dirt even under the cleanest circumstances, seem to stretch a chain way too quick for me, plus heat the bar grooves up and develop a ridge. And that's why I just bought another 051. They still do serve a purpose.

Why the tape on the 051AV??? Not much muffler burn for one "that" old.

Flea bay 066??? Yeah, right.

The 066 is fresh from a dealer from the looks of it.

Why use a saw as big and heavy as the 051AV to cut firewood???
You must be a lot bigger than most of us to use it day in and day out.

I have cut and bucked one hell of a lot of maple and other hardwoods and softwoods with my 038AV magnum. I don't use the bigger saws unless I really have to. Size of trees I cut??? Hint, I feed my sawmill all it can handle.

Have owned a 088 for almost four years now....use it on the bigger stuff.

Just my thoughts.

very good looking saws.

darn good looking 660. but man i hate the dawgs that come on the 660's they are way to big and fugly.

yeah i was wonderin to. im watchn the bay for 066 660s and didnt see anything that clean lookin

Why the tape on the 051AV??? Not much muffler burn for one "that" old.

Flea bay 066??? Yeah, right.

The 066 is fresh from a dealer from the looks of it.

Why use a saw as big and heavy as the 051AV to cut firewood???
You must be a lot bigger than most of us to use it day in and day out.

I have cut and bucked one hell of a lot of maple and other hardwoods and softwoods with my 038AV magnum. I don't use the bigger saws unless I really have to. Size of trees I cut??? Hint, I feed my sawmill all it can handle.

Have owned a 088 for almost four years now....use it on the bigger stuff.

Just my thoughts.

Yep the new bad boy is from Fleabay (350279503914). $950 And the dude has more of them. He got them at a discount and is selling them off. He put another 660 up after I bought mine and it sold in a day or two. He also has some smaller models he has been selling, but right now he has no new models listed. The saw never had gas in it and the blue sticker is from a rigging company in Longview, WA. I think that is the guy he bought them from. Bar and chain came in original wrapper, and the saw was bubble wrapped in a big box but he also included the Stihl powerhead box in with the packing. I figured I saved about $200 (plus tax) by going the Fleabay route compared to local prices.

I used to drop and top with my 051 and then spend a day skidding all the logs from a ~200' circle to high ground with a Farmi skidding winch on my old Ford 9N. I would criss cross the logs on the pile so I could buck like a madman the next day. I would start and just buck all day long non-stop. I sometimes had a helper that would move blocks and kick the logs onto the cut blocks for better cutting as we proceeded. Then the next day while I was dropping and skidding more he would haul them out using a trailer behind a tractor. Speed getting through the logs was my money maker. The saw was heavy but money was more important to me. :) I wanted to get down through the log and be moving to my next cut. I wanted the saw waiting for me, not the other way around.

I am not a big dude (5'9") and back then I weighed all of 135-140 soaking wet. I had no body fat and I was a well tuned machine. I could toss a hunk of split firewood with either hand into a 5-gallon bucket at 25' with no problem. I could "shotput" a 10" round (16") up onto my truck right over the 10' tall sides with no problem. For some odd reason I cannot do that now. Something about 30 years of added age on my body and a few more pounds. :mad:

My dad used to chastise me for using such a big saw all the time but when he came to help me and he would use my Homelite 925s and the smaller homelite (3-something???) I had he always quickly saw how much more production I was getting compared to him. Sure he had a few years on me, but I was blowing him away on the number of cuts per hour. With firewood speed = money as long as the cuts can be made safely. A friend had a Homelite 1050 (not sure of the number). It was the biggest saw Homelite made at the time and with that thing I could really chop the wood. I tended to only get that one out when I had 15" and bigger wood and nice straight stuff. That was NOT a limbing saw, not by any stretch of the imagination. It was like lugging around a VW bug. The guy only had that saw to loan to me for about 6 months and then someone stole it out of his truck. :mad:

Your Profile says you are in Minnesota. How did you come across the House Trucking bar cover? That's my go-to shop when I need something.

I grew up in CNY and my brother still lives there. He runs a big firewood outfit that he took over from me and he made it bigger. House Trucking is where I bought all my saw and supplies and my brother still shops there now. He just picked up 5 big rolls of 404 chain for his processor and a stack of saw bars for it. House Trucking is the only place locally that is willing to order the right bars for him. Darn good folks in that shop for sure. I moved to MN to work in a coushy job for Da-Man. It pays the bills and helps me support my new addiction, CAD.

Last edited:
yeah i was wonderin to. im watchn the bay for 066 660s and didnt see anything that clean lookin

Here is the listing number of my saw. Check the guy out he said he has a bunch of them to sell. He sold one more since I bought mine and I saw a smaller saw listed and sell too. 350279503914

dude 5'9" is big. im heaith impaird. but i know what you mean im 5'7" and 150 soakn wet. thats why i got rid of the 084 for my 372. kinda wish id of waited for 066 660 trade for the 084

im not going to buy. 950 is to much. im watchn project saws now.

Back