Tips on grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is by no means a how to on grinders, but rather an explanation of works for me.
I started with a Tecomec clone during the summer. It works fine but the vice clamping mechanism is a cam action that pinches the chain. This is kind of crude and the cutter moves when it is being clamped. The vice can be set for a 10 degree down angle.
I just bought a Oregon 511AX, this to is made in Italy by Tecomec. It is the same as the Jolly Star. The vice is much better quality and the clamping mechanism is a screw type that clamps whole chain and the cutters don't seem to move. The 10 degree tilt on the vice also has different settings for the top plate angle and angle of the wheel while using the 10 degree feature.
Anyway, when I start I like the chains degreased. So I spray down each side while putting the chain on a piece of cardboard with Super Clean and brush off with a nylon brush, then I throw them in a coffee can full of boiling water (on wood stove) that has dawn detergent. Let them simmer a while and stir with a big screwdriver. They dry immediately when you take them out since they are hot.

28kouhy.jpg

2h2r4g6.jpg

I just made a frame to mount the grinders, it is 53" off the floor and the one on the left is for rakers and the Oregon 511AX is for sharpening. I have a circular fluorescent light for additional light. You can't have too much light.

2u4lg5h.jpg

vy5wxs.jpg

I think both grinders have way too much movement in the up position to the grinding position. So I tie a shoelace to restrict the motion to a few inches. Also a cheap magnet behind the vice catches a lot of the filings.

2hr36ky.jpg

Profile on the raker grinder wheel.

25r2q6t.jpg

More detailed pic of vice on Oregon 511AX.

2ymb0qe.jpg

I am new to the grinder thing and I will certainly listen to any tips or things you think I am doing wrong. The height of the grinders makes seeing what is going on much easier and always wear glasses.

I like your set up. I use an NT for depth gauges and a 511a for the cutters. Of my two, I think the cam action is better on the 511a, but it looks like the AX works great. You are right about the light! I am thinking of adding one to my workbench. I have flourescent light overhead, and use a small LED penlight to check cutters as I grind them. I get by, but I'm getting older and need all the light I can get.

I suppose you oil your chain after grinding? I sometimes let a chain sit in some motor oil overnight, then hang it on a nail to drip dry for a day or so.

I use a CBN wheel but mine has cutouts in it to lighten the wheel, whip up more air and break contact with the cutter while it is being ground. I think mine has 8 or 9 cutouts that go clean through the edge of the wheel. If you grind a lot of damaged cutters, it's really nice to use.

I'm thinking of whipping up a plywood surround for my grinders to keep the workbench cleaner. I like you magnets though and need to find a couple of them.

Weedeaterman has them for $345.99 with free shipping.
It looks like they are also getting some 511A's in for $289.99 free shipping as well.

Same grinder but the 511AX has a better chain vise assembly IMO.

The vice is what makes the AX model. I would not get the cheaper one for that reason.

I like your set up. I use an NT for depth gauges and a 511a for the cutters. Of my two, I think the cam action is better on the 511a, but it looks like the AX works great. You are right about the light! I am thinking of adding one to my workbench. I have flourescent light overhead, and use a small LED penlight to check cutters as I grind them. I get by, but I'm getting older and need all the light I can get.

I suppose you oil your chain after grinding? I sometimes let a chain sit in some motor oil overnight, then hang it on a nail to drip dry for a day or so.

I use a CBN wheel but mine has cutouts in it to lighten the wheel, whip up more air and break contact with the cutter while it is being ground. I think mine has 8 or 9 cutouts that go clean through the edge of the wheel. If you grind a lot of damaged cutters, it's really nice to use.

I'm thinking of whipping up a plywood surround for my grinders to keep the workbench cleaner. I like you magnets though and need to find a couple of them.

Hey Lambs, we think alike.

I too have a small penlight for really examining the cutters. I am still working on the lighting.

I have a small battery light that is for grills, with the flexible shaft you can get the light right where you want it.

The plywood behind the grinders is just sitting there and is exactly for the reason you listed, to keep the dust confined.

I haven't oiled the chains because it's winter and it's so dry in the garage with the wood burner. The chains go right back on the saws anyway, if they are going to be stored I'd give them a shot of oil then.

If you build the surround out of sheet metal and attach an additional magnet to the surround it will catch even more of the metallic dust.

If you build the surround out of sheet metal and attach an additional magnet to the surround it will catch even more of the metallic dust.

Nah that wouldn't work Dave, close proximity to more than one magnetic greatly amplifies the voices in my head. That is the reason I wear a tin foil hat most of the time now.

Thanks Philbert, I have learned a lot in the last year regarding grinders from your posts.

BTW, that Super Clean sprayed on straight along with a brush really takes off the oil, the boiling dawn detergent finishes them off. They dry real fast since they are hot. The Super Clean was another Philbert inspired tip.

Latest posts

Back