Tis the Season... Winter Boot Recommendations Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Well the snow's here to stay in Northern Vermont, and I'm sure other places as well. I'm in the market for winter boots, something I can cut all winter long in.

A few attributes I'd like in a new pair are:

-Waterproofing. Not Goretex or similar forms of "breathable" waterproofing, as they only stay truly waterproof briefly. Rubber or plastic.

-Insulation (of course).

-Toe protection.

-Spikes or a recommendation of a removable spike system, similar to a mild cramp-on or a "Yaxtrack". I've only used hiking cramp-ons, which are way to aggressive to easily run in. So I have no experience with spiked boots or anything in between a hiking cramp-on and plain old boots. Some parts of my property are very steep, so added traction is a must, whether it be integrated or removable spikes.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

I have a pair of Muck boots , they may fit your bill .I'm not sure about toe protection though . I think there less than $100.00

look at the viking chainsaw boot. Steel toe, full rubber. Available with caulks. Buy a size or two bigger and add a felt liner. I live in Canada, and I wear them to cut all winter. You gotta remember, that since they are not breathable if you work hard enough to sweat the tiniest bit then you will freeze your toes off. You need really good wool socks with rubber boots

Kahtoola MICROspikes® Traction System | Ice Traction Shoes

I wear these ice fishing.They're awesome! Got them in Burlington VT at my favorite outdoor gear shop.

I've seen a product similar to this called "Yak Tracks" or something like that.

I can definitely see them being excellent on a flat frozen lake, but would you want to hike in them? I have no experience with them, no idea how flexible they are, and don't want anything that would come off my foot at an inopportune time. But I do like the idea of removable spikes.

Yak trax don't work too good in the woods.
Sticks and branches get caught in them and rip them off.
I buy screw in studs for dirt bike tires and put them in any boot you want.
I think Woody's even makes carbide ones now.

I have steel toe Muck boots that I really like. They are easy on and off and my feet don't sweat in them

Steve

After 52 years of freezing my feet off in Northern NY, I finally found a boot that works- The GI Mickey Mouse boot. You can get them with steel toes. The sole is thick and heavy enough for corks. Your feet WILL BE WARM. Nothing else I've ever tried, and I've tried about everything, comes close. And they are pretty cheap. I bought mine online for $29.00 plus shipping. Less than $45.00 total.

The next closest warm boot were the Vikings, but I need the lace up type and they run over $200.00 last time I looked. Back in the day the original Candian made Sorels were good, but they no longer exist as far as I know.

Mucks, Red Balls, LaCrosse, nothing else comes close. I even have a pair of the old Chippewa Arctic 50's with the real sheep skin lining. The Mickey Mouse boots make them look like flip flops for warmth.

Don't get the corked Vikings. The corks fall/tear out. Keep your feet dry but not made very well.

Don't get the corked Vikings. The corks fall/tear out. Keep your feet dry but not made very well.

Really? The orange pull on ones? Mine have a lot of miles on them and they've held up well and yes, I've worn them in the brush--five winter's worth. Those are the most common winter boot around here, and a few guys even sweat in them in the summer. I think you must have gotten a bad pair. Now I had a pair of green lace up ones that blew out in the seams. The orange, chainsaw ones go and go and go, but they are heavy.

Sorel make a good winter boot for reasonable prices. Regardless of what brand you get, buy a good pair of boots and pick up a couple pair of felt liners to go with them. Keep a pair liners with you at all times. Don't underestimate the importance and comfort of dry boots!

Sorel make a good winter boot for reasonable prices. Regardless of what brand you get, buy a good pair of boots and pick up a couple pair of felt liners to go with them. Keep a pair liners with you at all times. Don't underestimate the importance and comfort of dry boots!

Right on LT. Dan

Danner "Pronghorns" or something like that. I've had 'em for many years. 1000 cordura ballistic nylon. STILL water proof. Have been my go to wood cutting and stalk hunting boot. Still holding up. No steel toe,,don't need 'em. I would of never believed I would owned a pair of "ballistic" nylon, but my pal bought 'em too small and I got 'em about half price...it gets mighty cold here and they haven't let me down. 600 grams of thinsulate. I wouldn't want to wear 'em stand hunting, but if your on the move they should work well. BUT,,,then again my stand hunting boots are LaCross and I gotta lot of good service out of them also. I wore the old Micky Mouse boots in the Army. They worked well in Germany but are heavy.

How odd, these are the exact copy of my Vikings but cost over twice as much. Is it because the Oregon name is now on them? I'll have to research and see if they are still at a low price, around $100 out here at unnamed places. I am also able to find them in a size 6 out here, off the shelf. I know some loggers that have the same size feet as me. In fact, one of them told me where I could find the boots and good socks.

Bailey's - Oregon Chainsaw Resistant Rubber Boot - Caulked Sole

Back