To get ISA certified.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearclaw

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. First I would like to say that this site rocks! There is a wealth of information here that has been invaluable. I especially like Ekka's videos!

Of course I am full of questions, I've been studying and researching for about four months now, and I've had a fair amount of real life experience as an arborist. Of course I'm no where near as good as the pro's around here, but one day I will be!

Anyway...I am looking to get ISA certified, however I am unsure of how to go about it. It have been on the ISA website, but I am unsure of where to go to prep for the exam, whats involved and the money it takes.

If anyone has any helpful information, I would greatly appreciate it. Also if anyone knows of ballpark figures for insurance in Colorado, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone here who has shared their knowledge!

Getting ISA certification

I've just gone through all this for the arborist certification:

· Go back to the ISA website.
· Click Certification Information (4th link from left, in black bar directly below ISA logo).
· Decide which certification is appropriate for your type of work.
· Click on that link.
· Now click on the link to download the certification application (PDF file).
· Print out the application and read it thoroughly.
· Everything you need to know is in the application ... cost, recommended study materials, passing scores and breakdowns, what to do if you don't pass, etc., etc.
· Finally, click the appropriate link in the light yellow column to find out when and where the various certification tests are being offered. Print it out.

If you're serious about getting certified, and you haven't already joined ISA, now is a good time to join. You'll save money on the test costs, as well as on all publications they sell.

Good luck.

Thanks KathyKKA,

I have been in the business for a while, but I am having to learn everything on my own, including classes, real world experience, and of course the internet. I want people to know that I know what I am doing, and that I will do it right, unlike A LOT of hacks that I have seen, and have had to fix the job that they did on a tree. However digging through pages of bureaucracy to find out, where, and how much the ISA tests are is quite dull. Your info pointed me to the right place. Thankyou.

What I like about the ISA program is the CEU point system.

So many guys get their certs then stop learning, then 10 years later think they know it all but are having some debate with new guys about certain things .... then 20 years later BAM!

Just like that ...... they're old school, climbing on ole clapped out stuff, wont get the latest gear, wont invest in education ... really just stuck and stubborn.

The ISA CEU system atleast keeps you learning.

The downside is, not everything you read, do, attend or learn attracts the CEU points.

Back