Today is a great day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wayyyy too far from you,,but at castalia,iowa,,,greens sugar bush does it the old way..they use mules and horse--to get the sap out of the woods,,on old time running gear....and if your there,,when they change the pails,,you are welcome to help!!!! the boil off operation is right there also, so get to see the whole process---and can buy the syrup in same bldg---kind of a old time place,,EXCEPT for the boiler!!! thats just a mite past old,,tho they still use tree slabs--also--castalia is in the upper ne corner of iowa,,thinking about 2 1/2 hrs from you???

I checked it out on mapquest - Castalia, IA is about 30 miles west of PDC, WI which is can be 'alternate home port' for us sometimes. Can you pm me more details?

Shari

Agreed!!!

Sun is shining, warming up nicely...this time next week will be in central Florida crappie fishing...talked to old man who will be guiding and said numbers are down but been catching several +2lb'ers each day so...For me winter is coming to a close...Thank God! And I still have enough wood to make it through with a little carry over...:msp_biggrin:

sorry for those enduring earthquakes and sunami and will pray for them...still glad that i'm where I am...

We used to make it when I was a kid and boy I'll tell ya what...once you get to eating the real thing ...going back to Aunt ja'mima just ain't something a rational person can do nor stomach.
We have 1 in the family that makes it and there's 2 neighbors....

So my BIL is at the sap shack...he's got a few others there that help..have for years and then there's this other fellar who's his sister's bow. Well somehow one night they got tied up into a jug of whiskey after a full day of pullin sap and cuttin wood for the fire.Afterwards when the bottle ran dry and as everyone is sleeping this boyfriend get up to tinkle....he's got to be still drunk...anyway he see in the dim light that the sap looked like it was frozen. The fire was low and he decides to stoker her up.
Well wouldn't ya know come morning as everyone gets up that the fire gets tended as per normal.
Yup...sheet hits the fan and that boy friend got an azz whoopin...ya see he turned that big pan of almost finished syrup in one big fruit roll up.
Come to find out he never even went back to the main cabin to get his belongins...just took offf.....guess the gal got a dear jane later on....thought them country boys was a bit ruff on him and he didn't figure he had much chance of joinin the family after that.
Some take their sap makin mighty seriously up here in northern Mn.

2 LB Crappie would be nice. I was a guide for several years in Bristol Bay watershed up here and operated from the Kvichak River, which gets the largest run of Sockeye Salmon in the world. In the fall Rainbow trout was the trophy with lengths of 36" + and girths of 20"+. I left Illinois in '89 and as a kid I had my uncles fly rod with a martin auto wind reel I used to really get into some Crappie fishing. I was checking out a Russian site dedicated to building all terrain vehicles ruskie style and saw a fish hut on tracks.Ëóíîõîäîâ.Íåò :: Ãëàâíàÿ now how is that for convoluted sentence structure Glad you made a good self arrest during the wind surfing episode.

This weekend is special to us northerners. It is the the weekend to spring our clocks forward an hour. From this weekend forward we will have enough light to be able to do things outside after work. Things like mowing the lawn and building barns.

Spring happens after the clocks change for us.

Amen. The single worse thing about winter is leaving for work in the dark and coming home in the dark. Give a man a couple of hours of light in the evening.

yep, around here it will be in the mid fifty's and i have to work all weekend..
i will be cutting again tues.

Not yet

It may be a few weeks before I get to cutting again. I still have over a foot of snow in the yard and lots of snow in the woods. My little JD garden tractor with turf tires doesn't do snow that well. Maybe by the middle of April conditions will allow to cutting in the woods. Got taxes to do in the mean time.

yep, i have our taxes done, due to business's etc. i get out and cut when ever i get time to. its been really muddy here... i left 18" deep ruts last time out, that was just in the ditch....backed in to load up 10' off road was solid until i was loaded and drug trailer hitch and bumper all the way out...
tends to give some pucker factor to it. i decided to not go this week. i pulled both the allis c's up to the house for repairs and left ruts clear out the barn door all the way to the house...the wife told me she could not believe
how soft the barn floor was back in that part..

It may be a few weeks before I get to cutting again. I still have over a foot of snow in the yard and lots of snow in the woods. My little JD garden tractor with turf tires doesn't do snow that well. Maybe by the middle of April conditions will allow to cutting in the woods. Got taxes to do in the mean time.

I keep a set of chains on my little JD year round,poor man's four wheeler !

Supposed to be 66 here today and nice for the rest of the weekend. I'm going to get some wood today and hopefully sunday since my team is out of the tourny.

Well, the weather man changed his mind and put me in the bulls eye for rain turning into a couple of inches of slushy snow. Yes Mizzou got knocked out of big 12 tournament but our local high school made it to the final four next weekend. That is even better. GO TIGERS!!!(Wellington Tigers)

Well the weekend has come and gone....we lept ahead on our clocks..oh goody...I need more sleep.
Sat. night the championship boys hockey tourney was on..well it went into triple overtime....great game ,but it ended around midnight and I had a 5 a.m. wakeup to go do some promoting for Northland tackle.

It was a windy Sat...and cold which made it tough on the ice. I hear we are into some 40's for temps this week...about time.

Here's a shot of Greg Clusiau with a slab caught on a jiggle bug.
2010-2011promoonice792.jpg

Nice fish, especially in the winter. My dad spent last week trout fishing in south Missouri. Woke up to about 3-4 inches of snow and coming down pretty heavy still. Just when things were beginning to dry out.

Latest posts

Back