Todays Struggle to get the saw running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had big plans of cutting a little wood today but the saw did not want to run. The husky 55 had been running great but today when it cranked it blew smoke like it was flooding but within about 20 seconds the saw died. I spent the next 30 minutes making sure that the saw was not flooded and that the spark was good. I finally get the saw to start again and while playing with the choke and throttle I was able to tell that the saw was starving for fuel.

So I decide to just replace the fuel line since the saw is old and the line could have been leaking air. After putting in a new line and in tank fuel filter I tried to get the saw to run again. But the saw just would not get enough fuel.

I pull the carb off and take it apart and clean it up. I use wd40 to blow through the ports and everything is clear. The inside of the carb look very clean. I put everything back together and the saw still wont run.

So I head back to the store to get a rebuild kit. I got the wrong kit but it had the diaphram in it that I needed so I used this part. I also decided to put some finger nail polish around the welch plug just in case it was leaking. I get everything back together and the saw wont run. It will start but it just can't get enough gas. I have taken the mixture limiters off so that I can now adjust the needles as needed. I had to take the limiters off so that I could remove the needles to blow out the jets.

I get the saw running while 1/2 choked. Then I decide to open up the idle needle a little. The saw is now running so it is time for the happy dance. The saw seems to be a little lean at full throttle so I open up the high end until the rpm drops off some. I then play with the low and high needles until I am happy with a little fat top end.

Maybe I can now do a little cutting the next day that I go out.

I know that you professional saw mechanics must be smiling and chuckling at this point.

I really don't know what fixed the saw which is a little irritating but as long as it runs I guess that I can be thankful and grateful.

Probably some dirt playing hide and seek with you in your carb, it doesn't take much. You could also try shooting the clutch and flywheel sides of the crankcase with carb cleaner to check for a main seal leak(while running of course). Usually a main seal leak is most noticeable as a lean idle condition at first.

Thanks for the replies. I got the saw running but I don't know what I did that fixed the saw. :)

Thanks for the tip on spraying carb cleaner on the saw while running. I have a 024 stihl that I am trying to determine if the seals are bad and this tip should help me with my question.

I would say the needles being turned out is what fixed it. Ive bought alot of saws from CL that wouldnt run and all they needed was the needles turned out. Varnish or a little dirt will limit the flow of gas past the needle.:msp_mellow:

Back