Today's teardown 372xp, black crankcase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, pulled the cyl on the 372 the other day and the entire interior of the crankcase was lined with carbon, crank and all. A full teardown was in order, duh.
Question: what would cause this?
Saw belonged to a retired faller and his last time out was cutting fire damaged trees...saw had black crud all over it.
Piston had carbon on the exhaust side with just a small spot below the rings. Otherwise p&c are pristine.
Oil was seeping up through the case gasket under the muffler so I suspected an air leak in the case as well. Wouldn't hold vac and only held 5psi of pressure.

The crank cleaned up great in the sonic tank full of carb cleaner. Rod cage seems fine, no excessive play.
1000001976.jpg1000001978.jpg1000001977.jpg1000001943.jpg

Dirty air getting through the filter, ****** oil, plugged muffler will cause that.

The leak is common there. Added heat from the muffler dries and cracks the gasket. It’s not tied to the crankcase though. Holding pressure but not vacuum is likely the decomp sucking in under vacuum when you were testing

Dirty air getting through the filter, ****** oil, plugged muffler will cause that.

The leak is common there. Added heat... from the muffler dries and cracks the gasket. It’s not tied to the crankcase though. Holding pressure but not vacuum is likely the decomp sucking in under vacuum when you were testing
Makes sense. I'll most likely plug the decomp...not needed

The leak is common there. Added heat from the muffler dries and cracks the gasket. It’s not tied to the crankcase though. Holding pressure but not vacuum is likely the decomp sucking in under vacuum when you were testing
Well, good call. Pulled the decomp valve and it is encrusted with carbon…no way it could ever seal. Plug installed 😀
got the cylinder ports all polished today and into the 372 box it went for later assembly.

interesting thing. The bearings are in great shape after being tanked for a while. Nice and smooth. However, I’ll most likely replace them as the cost is small…they are 6202s and I can get quality ones at the local bearing shop.

Back