Too Wet To Unload, Will The Rain Never Stop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ductape

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Brought home a cord from my secret stockpile last night. Its been raining for six weeks straight.......it seems. I don't dare back around the back of the house to dump by the woodpile. I'm afraid i'll sink out of sight as soon as i'm off the driveway. Is the rain ever going to end??? I feel like i've moved to Seattle.

I suppose the bright side is...... i get to look at my wood in the driveway.

wood001.jpg

mingia....nice trailer!!!!

been raining forever here too....clay soil is like mush when you walk on it.

imagine if this was all snow....

Last edited:
I feel your pain, I couldn't even get to my wood had to borrow a 4wd truck. Got stuck twice this weekend with my 16' trailer once in my own yard and once at my neighbours house (good 1st impression, stuck on near flat ground tearing up his field!)

I think a wheel barrow might be in order!

I'm afraid to drive around my house too. Prob fall in a crack! It hasnt rained here since we planted corn. Havent seen so much wasted corn and milo for quite a few years. Anyway, glad to se someone getting some.

usually here we get a good onth or more of dry weather. last year i remember we had what seemed like 2 months of no rain. so i figured its a little early but whay not bring the wood in the cellar now it aint gonna get any dryer. im hoping it dries out for a while so the wood dries upo real nice before i bring alot of it on in before winter.

Haven't had any more than a few drops here since July 1, send it this way

I'm afraid to drive around my house too. Prob fall in a crack! It hasnt rained here since we planted corn. Havent seen so much wasted corn and milo for quite a few years. Anyway, glad to se someone getting some.

Funny how a hundred miles can be so different in weather in the same state. We have had more than our share here lately. It started Thursday and it has rained every day and night since. Not enough to drive you inside but enough to keep you from getting in some places. I'd send it to you if I knew a good way to get it there. Hope your corn crop makes it.

I've got fencerows to finish clearing before Fall and my brother has hay laying down that looks like it isn't going to be fit to put in the barn.

Ductape, I like that trailer, at least you have the wood there at the house. It could be cut and waiting for you to get back in to finish putting on the last load.

Started Sat night and still raining but we was in drought before
that almost, trees were wilting now they are singing:laugh:
Maybe the white oaks will have acorns this year!

This thread has opened my eyes to micro-climates!

People seperated by no more than 100 miles experiencing completely different weather conditions.

Here in Western NY it is the second summer of very wet weather!

It makes the trees grow!

We're in our seventh (or so) wettest summers since they started recording this stuff back in the eighteen hundreds. I think i may have had five or six sunny days in the past month. I've lost most of my tomato plants to fungus. I'm glad i stay a year ahead on my firewood, especially since i wouldn't have wanted to be outside cutting most of this summer. I sure wish i could give some of it to you guys who haven't had enough!

That trailer sure has paid for itself ! I bought it two years ago from a defunct lawn service. I made the sideboards, extended the tilgate, and modified the gate to be able to swing to the side. I really wanted a ten, or twelve thousand pounder (its a seven)..... but it was a deal too good to pass up. The fuel i save being able to move more wood at once..... not to mention the time savings, has paid for it. Plus, it allows me to sell and deliver a couple cord a year..... again, subsidizing my wood habit.

I was gonna ask about the tailgate on the trailer.. it looks modified.. I have the same trailer ( brimar 6x10 dump) its a nice trailer. I like the racks on the top too.

I usually fill mine and pull it beside the house in the winter and just load the wood off of it makes it nicer than hauling several loads with the bobcat which tears up the ground or many trips with the front end loader.
do you have any more pics of the mods?
yeah its been dry here too.

This July was the wettest by over 8 inches. I have about 15 cord in the woods that I dont dare get to. This summer sucks big time

It's raining over here in Ireland too!

This summer has been a washout, we have even had flash floods in some places, Last month was 170% of the usual rainfall, I saw in the news today that there was a body of a cow found on a beach 60 miles away from where it had been grazing.
Crazy weather.

do you have any more pics of the mods?

I took a couple. I had a local steel shop cut out my four hinge plates with their plasma. I hade a cardboard cutout of what i wanted. I looked at a couple trailers with swing away gates, and made my hinges similar. With the gate open, it swings around nearly flat against the right fender. For now i use a bungee to hold it open, but i'll eventually i'll weld a small chain and hook to it. The rest of the hinges i fabbed up , mostly with some steel i had hanging around. I can still swing the tailgate down, and eventually will make it useable as a ramp. My old tractor would fit in the trailer, but my current tractor won't...... so the ramp gate hasn't been so much of a priority. The gate i extended with some agle, then welded expanded steel to the inside. The sides are just 2 x 10 PT, bolted together.

wood001-1.jpg

wood002.jpg

wood003.jpg

I took a couple. I had a local steel shop cut out my four hinge plates with their plasma. I hade a cardboard cutout of what i wanted. I looked at a couple trailers with swing away gates, and made my hinges similar. With the gate open, it swings around nearly flat against the right fender. For now i use a bungee to hold it open, but i'll eventually i'll weld a small chain and hook to it. The rest of the hinges i fabbed up , mostly with some steel i had hanging around. I can still swing the tailgate down, and eventually will make it useable as a ramp. My old tractor would fit in the trailer, but my current tractor won't...... so the ramp gate hasn't been so much of a priority. The gate i extended with some agle, then welded expanded steel to the inside. The sides are just 2 x 10 PT, bolted together.

wood001-1.jpg

wood002.jpg

wood003.jpg

Thats nice you can still use it as a flip up or down... or take it off. now all you need is a cover that rolls up hooked to the front. I use a piece of shade netting for a cover for mine... does great air flows through it and covers the load nicely. I like the bungee net that works good too .. I have them both... I may have to build some racks for mine now. Another thing I did for mine is got a trickle charger and put it on the battery... and I plug it in when not in use .. keeps the battery fresh. one of those 1.5 amp mounts next to the battery.. then i just run an extension cord in the battery box through the notch and close the lid and the battery stays charged.

Nice set-up and nice modification.

Nit pick: I am probably wrong but that doesn't look like a full cord to me, more like 1/3 to 1/2 cord. Of cours I don't know the dimensions of the trailer but it doesn't look much more than a standard pickup bed size.

Harry K

Nice set-up and nice modification.

Nit pick: I am probably wrong but that doesn't look like a full cord to me, more like 1/3 to 1/2 cord. Of cours I don't know the dimensions of the trailer but it doesn't look much more than a standard pickup bed size.

Harry K

Harry,
You are free to nit pick ! I did say a cord, but its probably a little under. Its only for my own woodpile.... not to sell. The trailer, to the top of the steel sides (NOT including the wooden side boards) is 120 cu. ft.(6 X 10 X 2). I always leave the tongue light, since filling the front of the trailer gives it too much tongue weight for my liking. In the picture from the rear, the camera is much higher than the top of the steel sides...... the wood is lumped well above the steel side of the trailer. Its definitely well above 1/3 to a half..... but probably correct that it isn't quite a cord.

Back