Took a good one and made it better?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splittah

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey there people..

I needed a new wheelbarrow and I wanted a nice large rugged one, I ended up getting this one..

Wheelbarrownew02-08001.jpg

second shot.. this one seems really rugged, the large poly tray is about 1/4 " thick, has dual wheels and a slanted tray to enable you to load it heavier over the wheels to support and balance the load.

Wheelbarrownew02-08004.jpg

I then thought about the space between the rails where the traditional tire would go and I thought.... hmmm, what would Tim "the Toolman" taylor do? He would give it more power of course, thats what... so I got to thinking what a waste to throw the old one out with a perfectly good tire on it, so why not?? I added this to it..

Wheelbarrownew02-08005.jpg

I'll tell you what, this thing has some rock solid handles and is great with large loads, compared to my old single wheel, this bad boy puts it to shame on capacity, ruggednesss and stablility. I have used it to move 2 cord of wood and about 2000 pounds of stone so far... works great.

Anyone else use one of these?

Dave

I have used one quite a bit. They are extremely stable which is a blessing and a curse. You can load them much more than a one wheel model, but they aren't quite as maneuverable.

Nice mod by the way.

Seems I always am able to knock my single wheel over when I'm throwing wood into the thing. :cry: Maybe that is the answer.

Seems I always am able to knock my single wheel over when I'm throwing wood into the thing. :cry: Maybe that is the answer.

I know exactly what you mean, or you go to dump a heavy load and it tries to go sideways or something stupid.. yeah. As was pointed out you do lose a small amout of maneuverability but it is made up for in capacity and stability.

:greenchainsaw:

As long as your terrain is pretty darn smooth - it may be an improvement as it can potentially increase the load rating by 50% - however the tire end of the wheelbarrow does not seem to be the limiting factor for me and handle end pretty much sets the load limit! I don't believe that the 3rd wheel will be an improvement however if you are using the wheelbarrow on uneven ground. With two wheels the loads are distributed fairly equally between the two wheels and when one wheel hits a small obstruction the wheel barrow leans a bit and the load still stays pretty evenly divided between the two tires. With your new design if the center wheel hits some obstruction it will be required to carry almost all the load up and over the obstruction - and the wheelbarrow that you have not been balancing (The outer wheels have been performing that chore) will suddenly be tippy until one of the other wheels touches the ground.

I also don't like the idea of having to add air to another tire - for some reason the Chinese can't make an innertube or tire what will hold air for more than a few days.

As long as your terrain is pretty darn smooth - it may be an improvement as it can potentially increase the load rating by 50% - however the tire end of the wheelbarrow does not seem to be the limiting factor for me and handle end pretty much sets the load limit! I don't believe that the 3rd wheel will be an improvement however if you are using the wheelbarrow on uneven ground. With two wheels the loads are distributed fairly equally between the two wheels and when one wheel hits a small obstruction the wheel barrow leans a bit and the load still stays pretty evenly divided between the two tires. With your new design if the center wheel hits some obstruction it will be required to carry almost all the load up and over the obstruction - and the wheelbarrow that you have not been balancing (The outer wheels have been performing that chore) will suddenly be tippy until one of the other wheels touches the ground.

I also don't like the idea of having to add air to another tire - for some reason the Chinese can't make an innertube or tire what will hold air for more than a few days.

Good points and interesting, I will see how it behaves. So far so good around here.

The handles are exactly the weak link. I was impressed by these because they seem rock solid. I haven't noticed any sag at all.

:greenchainsaw:

Nice idea!

I have one like that too, my handles are cracked and the axle is bent but it still works ok. I tried to straighten the axle in my vice but it's not perfect. the 3rd tire would have solved the axle bending problem that's for sure! good idea! :clap: I too agree that they aren't as manuverable especially on rough terrain :cheers:

Cool, now you can get 3 flats!!:greenchainsaw:

Kidding ofcourse, but I fill my tires with foam on many pieces of equipment that will sit for long periods so its ready when I need it.

Something to look into

I like the idea and I'll imagine that it's more stable, but I prefer a steel bucket too the poly type. Maybe they have improves the plastics of late but my old ones always cracked over time, usually by the mounting holes.

I agree. Plastic is photo reactive and will crack in about 4 years. Also the wooden handles will dry out and require tightening of the bolts until the wood itself cracks.

They make metal versions of this type but they cost buku $. So for the short term you've got a good solution. I had a well drilled on my property last summer and saw the metal kind. The drillers where putting 5-6 hundred pounds of rock/mud/bentonite into it and easily moving it around the hilly location without busting their butts.

Personally I have 5 "blue metal" wheel barrels which I use to haul wood from my distant pile up to the back door near my stove. Each of these things must be over 30 years old and easily have another 30 years in em. The wheels are what wear out. I got each for about $15 at garage sales here and there.

I like the foam in the tire idea and wonder if you can tell me the name of the product you use. I have resigned myself to spending $30 on solid rubber wheels.

Back