Topped Out Tree Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchux

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I hate getting calls to top out trees. The worst part is this type of trimming really gets alot of people wanting their trees to look similar. For some crazy reason they like the way it looks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

ugly

They payed me to take down this ugly Acer saccharinum (silver maple). It was topped 2 years prior they are just now realizing it is not going to make it. Topping is never good but this case is probably the worst i have ever seen.

Heh, we were out working today, and saw these beauties :censored: across the street, and my first thought was to this thread. :jester: Anywho, I'm not sure what species they are, but they've obviously been hacked at for years. There's another tree that's gobs worse than any I've seen posted yet that I'm gonna try to get a picture of soon, so stay tuned..

Hahaha

A hedgehog tree, that was a funny one.

That top tree was just a crap myrtle!

That tree is ugly. check out this nasty thing i found it on a memory card i did over the summer.

Structural pruning

Not for the faint of heart. I posted them here instead of the 'before and after pruning' thread out of respect for what some may think (NTIGAF). You're looking at one of the 8 remaining Belgian Elms on Boyleston St. just outside of the Public Garden in Boston Massachusetts. They are about ninety years old. I welcome all comments. Bring your flamethrowers!

Last edited:
I don't think thats that bad.

You know there are many schools of thought so it depends on what you believe this week. I think that there are times and places for everything. I guess you would call that Structural Pruning. Did you consult Henry on that one. If his elms at the state house are any indication yours will be just fine.... HEY next time get a shot of the base the area that it has to grow in. That should play more into the maintenance of the tops, My guess would be a 4' x 4' street grate between the sidewalk and street. Next time call me... I am a hat rack...oops structural pruning expert. They call me rubber neck

OTG Boston

There was a lot removed from that tree.

I would say around 60% to 70% of probable leaf mass which is way too much for a 90 year old tree.

Also it looks like it wasn't reduction but thinning.

It looks lion tailed now.

Was it dying, deadwood, etc??? Like why the pruning?

I've attached a side by side pic for quick reference.

Ekka said:
OTG Boston

There was a lot removed from that tree.

I would say around 60% to 70% of probable leaf mass which is way too much for a 90 year old tree.

Also it looks like it wasn't reduction but thinning.

It looks lion tailed now.

Was it dying, deadwood, etc??? Like why the pruning?

I've attached a side by side pic for quick reference.

Probably more along the lines of 50%. Definately reduction cuts and def. not lion-tailling (no interior growth was cut out). Thanks for putting the pic side-by-side. I'm having trouble getting more pics up right now which would tell more of the story.
Basically a few years back the brick sidewalk was replaced and during moderate wind storms these trees tend to fall over (by which I mean others in the same row of trees). They also have trunk wounds/cavities and are in a high traffic area. It was either try something, do nothing, or remove the trees. I went with the pro-active approach.
The consulting arborist on the project has been caring for trees longer than you and I have been alive. That first pic is of the Hancock Elm which is well over 200 years old and in Americas oldest public park. He has been overseeing the care of that tree for the last 50 years or so.
Sometimes you just gotta think outside the box.

Outside the box.

I'am not sure I would consider it outside the box thinking, but I would agree with what you did. I have performed some very heavy crown reductions in hopes of acheiving a better balance for the tree. To compare your pictures of a preservation project with pictures of trees that have been hacked due to a bad sense of asthetics or even worse a poor arborculture standard is unfair at best.:notrolls2:

Back