Topping a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpjumper83

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm kinda new at this, and I'd like to ask some questions about doing a removal where you must lower everything. How do you lower the top? Make your notch on the face. Then rope off the top, run the line across the notch. Use a second piece of rope around the top of the bottom with a beener or pulley attached. Run the rope thru the pulley / beener and down the the ground and tie it off tight. Now make your felling cut so the the top comes down as gentle as possible. Then when the top has stabilized, lower it down. Have I got the idea right? Any pointers? thanks

Check out Grigory's video from Moscow!

He's got some good runs going there.

stumpjumper83 said:
I'm kinda new at this, and I'd like to ask some questions about doing a removal where you must lower everything. How do you lower the top? Make your notch on the face. Then rope off the top, run the line across the notch. Use a second piece of rope around the top of the bottom with a beener or pulley attached. Run the rope thru the pulley / beener and down the the ground and tie it off tight. Now make your felling cut so the the top comes down as gentle as possible. Then when the top has stabilized, lower it down. Have I got the idea right? Any pointers? thanks

You got most of it right...........Your lowering line should not be tied off. You can use a porta wrap, or other lowering device, or make a few wraps around another tree.
You want to "let it run" so the whole top comes over smoothly. If it were tied off you would feel the shock load of the top as it came to a stop.:dizzy:

stumpjumper83 said:
yeah dont tie it off , like otg says , get an eye splice sling and over built block for this, its a start, no beaners and hanks of rope, if your gearless and want to gitrdun come back and i'll give you old school styles but we evoled fer a reason

Back