Towing truck for Rayco stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponderosatree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new crew truck which will primarily be used for towing around our Rayco stump grinder on it's trailer. Any recommendations?

depends on what rayco model you have. rayco makes real big stump cutters and tiny small ones and everything in between with that said.... from a ford ranger to an over CDL tractor trailer
Rayco_T275_2007_44%20copy.jpg

Personally it would have to be a diesel, and in that market, id be rockin a Dodge 3500 either dually or single rear, or a Dodge/Sterling 4500/5500 depending on what size grinder your towing. I'm slightly biased towards a dodge due to the fact that my dad was a dodge dealer mechanic for 25yrs, BUT Dodge has the Cummins Diesel, and they could put the 6cyl Cummins in a yugo pickup and id buy it just for the Cummins. Im assuming it is a smaller size rayco, but we all know what happens when you assume haha.

Yeah my dad has a 96 Dodge we call the farm truck, looks like its been to war, we drive it in the woods, fields, workin it don't matter, three ton of rock in the bed, towing stuff way over loaded, half ton frame and axles, with three quarter ton springs under it, 360 gas job, truck is great but doors are rottin and the front fenders are starting. Also has the twin of that truck just silver call it the sunday truck, use it for towing a camper its a highway queen, immaculate its a 97. My uncle has a 96 Cummins 3/4, they cannot be beat. Its like they want more when you beat them, they like it haha. Those new 4500/5500 chassis cabs are pretty sweet, i wonder if you could just get one the right wheelbase and get a good bed from a wrecked newer truck and if it would bolt up? I wish you could get em with a pickup box from the factory like the fords ive seen.

If you are only hauling one or two guys, consider a half ton reg cab short bed. For backing and manuvering a trailer, they can't be beat. They turn a lot sharper than longer wheel bases, you can flip a U-ball in any street. They are great for backing in and out of driveways. I use one for my tow behind and would never go back to a longer wheel base. The best part about them is that they don't hold their value that well so they can be had pretty cheap used. If you are pulling more than 5000 lbs then you may want to go 3/4 ton.

tow truck

I bought a crew cab pickup truck for towing a super rg 50, it's very capable. 09 Honda Ridgeline

lmao. Every vehicle has its own application, not knockin you or your choice of vehicle, BUT im pretty sure most of the guys on here would would not consider that a capable vehicle for commercial use. Now if Honda made a 1 ton with a cummins, i mite buy it lol. :cheers:

All depends on just how much it weighs. The double cab 6 cyl Tacoma's are rated to tow 5000 pounds. Might be a good option for a smaller unit. F-150's can be rated in the 10,000 pound range. And there is always the 3/4 and one ton trucks.

If you are looking to go for an oil burner I would stay away from the current generation of engines from any manufacture. They are all new tech to meet current emissions standards and none have been proven yet. I would also stay away from the 6.0 in the fords. While most of the later ones have been ok engines they just don't stack up in the reliability department from my experience with the 7.3 powered trucks.

Latest posts

Back