Tracked vs rubber tire stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2treeornot2tree

Dont cry, just do it
Reaction score
Wanted to see what everyone thought about the tracked stump grinders vs the rubber tire ones.

I am looking at buying a carlton 7015 grinder. I cant decide between tracked or tired. I know each has cons and pros but what one is better? Does anyone have a tracked grinder?

I am also looking at a used 8018 carlton grinder, but one thing that concerns me about it is the fact that its 50" wide, so it wont fit through a 36" gate.

We have a hurricane with tracks it's a heavy machine. Eats stumps like skittles tho. Tracks allow you to move in snow and other ####ty terrain. I don't think tires really have an advantage over tracks in my opinion. Have both tire and track machines, even my all wheel drive bandit will get stuck when its wet out. If you do the 7015 look for the 66hp kabota I've seen some in the 40hp range. I don't really think that's enough for a machine of its size. The 60+hp ones with svandisk do we'll. that's all I run anymore.

This was hard to find ......... Your welcome ........ Kinda can compare what you have now to what your thinking of getting [video=youtube_share;ChUZPtLe5ns]http://youtu.be/ChUZPtLe5ns[/video]

Thats a sweet video. Thanks for finding it. I think i want a track machine, the question is do i want to get a big track machine like the 8018 thats 50" wide, and just rent or keep my old machine to get into gates if i have too.

or the smaller tracked 7015 machine?

To many choices for me. My head is spinning.

Now i happened to look at the bandits, and they grind deeper. :confused:
:bang:

Personally, I would never get a tracked machine if you are working in customer's yards. Went through same thought process two years ago and decided on 7015 w/wheels. Tracks are just too destructive no matter how careful you are. Good for traction, not grass. If you do not work on nice lawns, then go for the tracks.

I've run 100 hp tracked machines and tire. The only upside that I found with the track machine was traction in muddy or hilly terrain. The biggest downside to the tracks was that it DESTROYED lawns.

I can see that you would have to do big sweeping turns. Its like my dingo, if you turn really sharp, you will rip up the yard. If your careful you should be able to mimimalize the damage.

Neither is better, they both have pros and cons ;-)

I'd go tracked if it was me, and big. Don't waste your time grinding small stumps, there's too much competition and no money in it. Tracked grinders can go a lot of places that wheeled grinders have a hard time - up small retaining walls, stairs, steep hills. You can also use them to pull trees over. I hate people with nice lawns, so I want to do as much damage as I can, or better yet, avoid working for them entirely. When I get my next grinder it's going to be tracked, with 6" studs on the tracks, and an undercarriage flamethrower, and rotating knives ala roman empire chariots. I may consider putting some sort of irrigation on the back spraying out agent orange.

Grinding deeper is a very good reason to not buy a grinder. You'll end up grinding out all your stumps deeper for no extra money. Get one that only goes down 12". Then you can say "well, the machine only goes down 12". That's the industry standard. You can go deeper, sure, but then we'll need to call superman, and that's going to involve kryptonite, and the cow jumped over the moon, the bill will be at least $15k. Just be happy with 12". It's more than most ladies can handle anyhow."

The SC85 is not a bad machine with the right wheel. Multi tip is ok.

Shaun

What do you need a machine that big for? I think the 7015 is more than enough of a machine for your liking. I go with wheels myself over tracks, more move ability. I have a 4400 with wheels and get around just fine. I grind some big stumps. Today actually i'm grinding out two huge ass hybrid poplars, i'll get some pics. As far as worrying about traction you have mats right?

Something like this would be good.

[video=youtube;hEN5Aca_Vek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEN5Aca_Vek[/video]

They need to add napalm as a factory option though. I want my stumps on fire while I'm grinding them. And I want a big beach umbrella and a deck chair mounted on it. And a cup holder, and a DVD player.

What do you need a machine that big for? I think the 7015 is more than enough of a machine for your liking. I go with wheels myself over tracks, more move ability. I have a 4400 with wheels and get around just fine. I grind some big stumps. Today actually i'm grinding out two huge ass hybrid poplars, i'll get some pics. As far as worrying about traction you have mats right?

I need a big machine to grind big stumps. I would rather have a bigger grinder then i need, then one to small, like now. Seems like i have been getting alot of 48" silver maple removals, or trees with lots of surface roots. My current machine takes 2-3 hours to grind a stump that size.

The 8018 machine that i am almost positive i am getting is only 6" longer and 14" wider then the 7015, but the motor is another 20 hp.

As far as mats, your right, I do have 16 of them, so if worse comes to worse, I can put them down even thought its a PIA.

I know around here, most people, want to pay the cheapest price for tree work, so if it saves them some money for there yard to get a little messed up, then so be it.

Something like this would be good.

[video=youtube;hEN5Aca_Vek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEN5Aca_Vek[/video]

They need to add napalm as a factory option though. I want my stumps on fire while I'm grinding them. And I want a big beach umbrella and a deck chair mounted on it. And a cup holder, and a DVD player.

The one i am looking at is the one right under that one. I want the napalm option!

The one i am looking at is the one right under that one. I want the napalm option!

You're on the right path. Put a sub clause into all your contracts that says you can grind the entire distance from your trailer to the stump, right through their house if you feel like it, and that their daughter will serve you beer on your deck chair while she's dressed in a bikini at your discretion.

The hurricane grinds up to about 5' in height, so you can just grind right on through fences and such to get to your stump. If you've got enough horsepower you don't even need teeth. If you've got enough horsepower you don't even need a trailer. You can just grind all the way from your house to the clients property. It only adds a few minutes to the commute, and the look on peoples faces as you grind through their living room is well worth it.

What about 'Bazooka Joe Stump Grinding', has that been done? Just want to make sure we're covering all bases.

Shaun

They grow real fast, and die even faster.

You live in a climate just like mine and similar terrain. Do you think the stumper you have now will climb a decent grade and advance through a decent chip pile right now? My tire machine won't, if I didn't have a track stump grinder I would be waiting for the snow to melt or trying to use a winch to get it in. 40-50hp or more diesel is the way to go you can make a lot more money with it. It's pretty neat being able to take a big stump out in 10-15min so your guys are not just looking at you.

Take a trip down and try the bandit or the hurricane. The Carlton has the 140hp deere. Me personally I'm going to stick with bandit the no dealer support for me on Carlton is deal breaker. They wanted me to pick up a 60k grinder or pay for delivery, not gonna happen.

Last edited:
I've got a real problem going with Carlton right now. I spoke with an attorney today and am seriously considering a lawsuit. I bought a new 4012 thirty mos. ago and have only been able to use it 50 hours due to an issue. Carlton has handled the situation poorly. Lawyer said I should have already sued them. They will not live up to their warranty. I would NEVER buy ANYTHING made by Carlton again. I bought two machines from them pretty close together. Both had problems. I will admit they warrantied one and no more issues...but the other has been a nightmare. They just give you the run around.

I've got a real problem going with Carlton right now. I spoke with an attorney today and am seriously considering a lawsuit. I bought a new 4012 thirty mos. ago and have only been able to use it 50 hours due to an issue. Carlton has handled the situation poorly. Lawyer said I should have already sued them. They will not live up to their warranty. I would NEVER buy ANYTHING made by Carlton again. I bought two machines from them pretty close together. Both had problems. I will admit they warrantied one and no more issues...but the other has been a nightmare. They just give you the run around.
Didos! After rebuilding the front end on my stumpy I told myself I will never buy anything from Carliton again. The worst customer service by far.

I would have told them that if they didnt fix it i would drive down there and shove the stumper up there ass!

Latest posts

Back