Tractor boom w/winch for harvesting firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironhead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I thought i would post one of these 3 point tractor booms and see if any of you wood cutters might be interested in one. I use mine with a set of timber tongs and its great for harvesting firewood.Comes with a new 2,000 lb. winch that has two controls,a mini rocker switch and a wireless remote control. I have a winch electric plug on the wiring so when i take the boom off i just unplug the winch.Its a catagory 1 hookup and made heavy duty.I would like to get $350.00 for it or may consider trading for a saw.Stihl,husky or makita. I'm in northeast Ohio (Ashtabula). If interested PM me. Gary

Could you tell me what kind of wnich that is?

I'm looking to buy a winch about that size to put on a trailer and I don't have any experience with winches. Any recommendations?

Also, do you make these tractor booms? They look well made. I would love to have one.... If I had a tractor to put it on. Eventually...

Thank fro any help. Good luck with the sales.

Winch

Deoje said:
Could you tell me what kind of wnich that is?

I'm looking to buy a winch about that size to put on a trailer and I don't have any experience with winches. Any recommendations?

Also, do you make these tractor booms? They look well made. I would love to have one.... If I had a tractor to put it on. Eventually...

Thank fro any help. Good luck with the sales.
The winch is a Gorilla brand. I bought it off ebay. Its not a big name brand like warn or ramsey but it costs about half the price of them. Its the third one i have bought so far and they are all still working good.The winch i have on mine is a milemarker and it seems to be a better built winch than the others but it does'nt have the wireless remote. I got it for $110.00 plus shipping on ebay. If you want a decent one without spending alot of money i'd go with a milemarker. Yes i made the booms,four so far. They really are handy for making firewood. I can back up to a log or limb and hook it with the timber tongs without getting off the tractor usually and lift it up then get off and limb it then drag it out to my cutting area then buck it. I worked mine pretty hard the last 9 months and love it. Thanks. Gary

That looks like a good setup, simple, effective.
What do you think the load limit would be on that?
What is the heaviest, longest , log you've dragged with it, before the front end of the tractor starts coming off the ground?
Have you added suitcase weights to the front of the tractor to get the work done?
Could you get a log close the trailer, then hook the tractor to the trailer and either drag up the back or with another pulley, parbuckle up the side with ramps?

??'s ??'s.

wdchuck said:
That looks like a good setup, simple, effective.
What do you think the load limit would be on that?
What is the heaviest, longest , log you've dragged with it, before the front end of the tractor starts coming off the ground?
Have you added suitcase weights to the front of the tractor to get the work done?
Could you get a log close the trailer, then hook the tractor to the trailer and either drag up the back or with another pulley, parbuckle up the side with ramps?

??'s ??'s.
Hey wdchuck,
Thanks for the compliment.I really do'nt know what the limit is. My tractor is a compact(28HP deisel) and its pretty light,2,000lbs. so the front comes up pretty easy even with weights on the front end. There is no doubt in my mind that it would flip a mid sized tractor.I have dragged out some pretty big ones steering with the brakes. I go slow and ALWAYS keep my left foot just touching the clutch pedal in case the log snags and the front end starts up.Straight off the back it would be hard to damage but with a heavy side pull i think you could bend it. Lots of times if i go after wood by my self i will take my small trailer and load it with logs about 12' long. If i hook it about 3' from the end i can set one end on the trailer then hook the other end and slide it on the trailer. When i get home i can drag them off and buck them right beside the log lift on my splitter.Sure saves alot of lifting.Gary

Tractor Boom

Looks useful.
I've handled hundreds of logs with my little Ford 8N and a boom pole cut off at the center brace. I'd suggest you don't need all that height or length. The logs are on the ground and all you have to do is raise them a little for skidding or carrying...To carry, hook in the middle and get the log up against the hitch (remove the ball stuff). With a shorter boom and with the log low, you greatly increase capacity and reduce danger. For really heavy lifts, I hook my chain to the structure where the toplink attaches. I move logs weighing over a ton that way. Once the front end comes up enough to let the log touch the ground, you are less likely to turn over. Of course if you keep pulling you can still do it!
Wilson

infomet said:
Looks useful.
I've handled hundreds of logs with my little Ford 8N and a boom pole cut off at the center brace. I'd suggest you don't need all that height or length. The logs are on the ground and all you have to do is raise them a little for skidding or carrying...To carry, hook in the middle and get the log up against the hitch (remove the ball stuff). With a shorter boom and with the log low, you greatly increase capacity and reduce danger. For really heavy lifts, I hook my chain to the structure where the toplink attaches. I move logs weighing over a ton that way. Once the front end comes up enough to let the log touch the ground, you are less likely to turn over. Of course if you keep pulling you can still do it!
Wilson
I use my boom for other things besides firewood.I made it long enough to load my gas lincoln welder into my truck or trailer.Once i get in the woods i pull the ball and install another tube with a hook welded to it. Every log is different so i hook accordingly.Sometimes where you suggested. Whereever i hook i always keep the load close to the ground and use good sence. Every year you hear of someone getting killed on a tractor because of a rollover.I try to use good judgement to make sure i'm not one of them.I was an ironworker for 30 years and learned a little about rigging and lifting.

Latest posts

Back