Tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
how many of you use tractors to load logs and move brush (with a grapel bucket)???? what horse power??? ect....

I think Tom D. uses a quad on some of his jobs for handling brush. If I remember correctly, Dave has a donkey named "Pedro" which helps him out on good size jobs, and I think he too just bought a quad. I know that a couple other guys on here have machines for moving brush and logs, just not sure who. Machines definatley have a place in regards to moving brush and wood in this business. However there are a lot of instances where you just can't get them into a site, or it's just not worth it to move the thing.

Ryan,

It really depends on how much you plan to do with it. If you are using it on a regular basis to lift 16 foot butt logs onto the truck then you are going to need a sizable tractor with power, weight and hydraulic flow to get the work done.

I use a tractor on large removals. Its a midsized tractor (100 horse) but we have it for our farm operation. I use it for loading the trunk on to a trailer. I can clip forklift forks on the loader and be able to pick up long pieces. Saves me alot of time and the custumers in my rural part of the world don't mind. I personally would like to get a little smaller tractor; wouldn't be able to lift as much but could get into tighter areas. I wouldn't want the skeed steer unless was the new Bobcat which has a four-wheel steer option; to easy to tear up yard.

We use a 30 hp 4 wheel drive with a loader on alot of our jobs. We use it to load chunk wood when we can't get a loader truck close enough or if it not to much. Don't really move much brush with it, but we do clean up the last rakings and clean up stump shavings quite a bit. We do not tear up turf, the machine weighs about 2700# and can get on wet yards and not even track. It is not as fast as a skid-steer, but doesn't tear turf either. The only draw back is that we keep the bucket on so when we go to load logs we have to cut them to 5 ft pieces to fit them in the bucket. Would not do with out it.

Palmer

The company I do most work for is fairly big and they also
do snow clearance in the winter etc. so they've got a pretty
large number of tractors.
We always use the tractors on removals and haul the logs and
brush out to the road where they can pick it up.
I have never, in real life, seen one of those chippers most of you seem to use, the ones you put behind your truck.
We dump all our logs and brush at a depot and once a month or
so an entrepreneur comes in a chipps it with a gigantic chipper.
We mainly use Case III MX120 which are 120 hp tractors fitted
with either a grapnel, correct word?, or some kind of big
closeable shovel for leaves and debris.
The Case is great although a bit pricey. The electronics also seem
to fail a bit too often and the joystick tend to wear out quickly.
Top speed is 38 km/h :)

I'm facing the same delimma. We borrowed a small tractor with a bucket on a job last week and man what a difference!!!

I think I'd like the lifting capacity of a skid steer......I rented one once, and was able to move without leaving marks. I did have to do a very wide swing to turn without tearing turf. Most of the time I went strait in, lifted the log, and came straight back out.

I know that my back feels better and productivity was greatly increased. I can rent a steer for 155 a day or 350 a week.

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Dan

I have a Hood jr graple that i've used for about a month. The grapple is great for moving logs and larger brush. Incredible time saver on big jobs. Lift capicity is based on the carrier vechile. There are advatages and disadvantages depending on the carrier. I leased a Cat skid-steer as a carrier which worked good for the job I was on at the time. Next I will lease the new Bobcat A-300 and see how that works. It shoud have more advanatges than disadvantages.

i'm thinking VERY strongly about buying a 35-40hp New Holland either a TC35 or a TC40 with an industrial bucket/grapel for moving brush and logs. the TC35 has an 1,800lbs. lift capacity for the loader so it should pick up a decent sized log:rolleyes: i'm going to go and demo one tomorrow

I have used my dad's new CAT 246 maybe 264 - the biggest one they make. The grapple works great, it can lift 2 telephone poles. Too rough on turf for most of my urban operations.

Tx, thats why i want to stay away from a skidder!!! i'm gonna get it with R-4 tires for less damage than R-1's but more traction than turf tires.

well i ordered my new tractor yesterday:) it should be ready next saturday:blob2: its a New Holland TC40D w/grapel bucket and standard bucket:D

Now you need a chipper that you can feed with the loader so you can eliminate one groundie <g>.

Gotta have a lot of work to pay for one of those

Cost it out and include it in the price of every job.

JPS, been thinking about maybe a chipper that mounts on the 3pt. hitch, what do you think??? i also hire myself out for loader work:rolleyes:

I had a 60HP diesel tractor with a loader
for about 5 months I tried out a skid steer, went out the next week and bought one with a little practice i could work in a yard without doing turf damage
the problem with the tractor was the size and when i picked up a log the front end was so loaded it sunk the front tires into the lawn.Because of the way the skid streer is built it equalizes the load onto all 4 tires.Plus the skid steer is alot shorter than the tractor was which has advantages.

Just my experience.:blob2:

Those hitch mounted shippers are for small brush. Larming yourself out to others will work if you can build a network. Lotta people doing the same thing though.

If you are doing a lot of removals the loader will pay for it's self in getting the big wood off site fast.

Like I said, just remember to include it's cost in all hourly billing projections. You're paying for it so you gotta get the money to do so.

If you don't get TCI magazine, findd the latest one with Van der Kooi's last article in it on making your buisness pay. When I first heard him speak I was suprised on how many points I had already been pontificating about. His program and my mindset are similar, his just more detailed.

JPS, i do get TCI. I also have figured loader work @ $60hr. with a 4 hr. min. down here most of what is done are removals

Plus you can also advertise for Grading work as well. I usually make 500-800 a month just doing small grading jobs.

Latest posts

Back