Tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a little hint Ryan, don't use the loader with out having a counter weight on the back side of the tractor.

when we first got our tractor, we would pick up logs and not have the rear wheels on the ground, just the fronts would be pulling. that results in to much strain on the transfer case and drive line to the front wheels. wasn't long until we were replacing gears. also don't engage the 4wd while the machine is moving, not good. actually the NH service man told me not to even use 4wd unless it was a have to case.

other than that, the tractor is great, light, powerful, and highly manuvearable, just slower than a skid steer.

Palmer

palmer, clearly you had NO previous experance with equipment!! i've been around heavy equipment my whole life, we had a 1,600 acre dairy farm that we sold a few years ago and my uncle owns a large paving business, my cousins own a large excavating business as well, most everyone in my family has had something to do with equipment. palmer, how long did it take you to figure out not to pick the logs up on the end??? (by that i mean unbalanced) not to pick on you but.....:angel:

Ryan, as kf-tree said in another thread, "please don't start this tit for tat thing with me" I was trying to save you a little heart ache but I didn't REALIZE you already knew everything, or at least your cousins do.

Palmer

O but ryan it more challenging that way especially if you need 3 people standing on the rear to counter balance. :D

DDM, i knew some people in highschool that had a ford 3930 tractor (about 42 pto horse i think) that when they pulled a small disk behind it they weren't smart enough to put extra weights on it so to get the extra weight one brother would stand on the disk while the other drove the tractor:eek: then one day the one standing on the disk slipped and broke his leg!!:eek: i personally use counter weights that mount on the 3 point hitch plus alcohool and water in the rear tires:angel: palmer, didn't mean to be all "tit for tat" with you, sorry:angel:

Some options to consider:

--A Quad (4wheeler) with a log arch can move some big wood with very low impact.
--Only problem is that is has no lifting capability without buying one of those gadgets that look kinda weak and limiting to me.
--The price difference between a good Quad and a good skid steer is huge. I can pick up a large quad for 3k used in great condition, where the Skid will cost about 12k used.

A guy I know got a big bobcat (873) i think, and if I were to get a cat It would have to be a big one. With his cat he sold his stump grinder, and bought a grinder atachment that eats stumps really well, he also can quickly drop that off, put on the tongs and move some big wood and load it very effeciently. By getting the large cat you have so many more options, one that I really like is that you can put a tree spade attachemnt on it also that can pluck a 46inch ball. Lots of versatility with the big cat vs a smaller machine.
Does anyone have a large skid steer with a bunch of different attachemtns that they use like this?
Greg

Greg, my New Holland has a "Quick Attach Plate" so it can use skidsteer tools:D

Originally posted by Ryan Willock
JPS, been thinking about maybe a chipper that mounts on the 3pt. hitch, what do you think??? i also hire myself out for loader work:rolleyes:

Tractor mounted chippers work fine if they're compatible. Not sure what's available over your way, but we had a Schliesing chipper on rail side work that could handle 9", if I remember right. I can't remember what power the tractor was, but the chipper needed 1000 rpm tpo speed, which is only a problem on older tractors.

picked up my tractor yesterday and @40hp and 4x4 it has PLENTY of power!!! push'n over 8'' pines in clay...no problem!!:D

Latest posts

Back