Transplanted Sweetgum Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bokonon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, to all and thanks to those responsible for providing this forum.

Two weeks ago I transplanted a sweetgum tree. The tree has an approx. 2 inch trunk and is approx 12 feet tall. I dug a rootball that is 24 inch in diameter and about a foot deep. By all the info I was able to find, this was the right size rootball.

The tree is experiencing some wilt. The wilt seems to be the most noticeable with leaves that are most exposed to light. The tree is in the sun from about 9am till about 4pm.

My first question is how much is enough water. I know a newly transplanted tree needs to be babied for a long while, but I'm worried that I may go too far and suffocate the roots.

My second question regards pruning. In looking for info, there seems to be some degree of controversy, with some sites saying that you need to prune, since even with a good rootball you still have less root, than before, so you need to prune to compensate; and other sites saying you shouldn't prune, since that slows down the formation of new roots. Should I prune or is this something the tree will just eventually snap out of?

I have transplanted many trees before, but never anything this large. Everything before this has been less than a one inch trunk and 6ft or less, in height.

Thanks to all who respond for your time and info.

Bok

This is not the best time to transplant, but since its already done you must keep it irrigated. If the soil drains properly you should water every day for a couple of weeks then every other day for a while. Keep reducing the frequency of watering till you're down to once a week. Of course, if you have clay soil or poor drainage you'll have to adjust your watering so the roots don't remain waterlogged. Do not prune to compensate for root loss. This is false logic as the growth regulators for root development are formed in the shoot tips. There is another post on here somewhere regarding this, but I don't remember where it is. By pruning or cutting back the canopy, you actually retard root growth.

Brett,

Thanks for the response.

Actually, this was a transplantation that was supposed to happen at the beginning of April, but without getting too involved, let's just say one thing led to another, and suddenly, it was the end of May......

That's a BINGO, on the clay soil. This whole area is one great big brick, waiting to be fired. The drainage is fairly good though, as it's on a slight slope. Since reading your post, I have been watering daily, and I'm happy to report that the wilt down seems to be fading.

Thanks again.

Bok

Be careful with the watering in clay soils. Wilting will probably continue through the summer on hot, sunny days. Check your tree in the morning to see if the leaves perk-up over night. If the remain wilted check moisture levels.

I would recommend a good 3" layer of mulch to help retain moisture as well.

Jay Banks
Certified Arborist
Urban Forester

Thanks, Jay. That's exactly what it's doing! It looks great in the morning and wilty by evening. So if I'm reading you right, I should only water, when it doesn't look perky, in the morning?

I'm trying my best to keep mulch on it, but I have a Beagle and a Terrier mutt, that think that a mulch bed is the greatest playground in the world, lol.

Bok

Then build your dogs a little mulch area of their own. Just a little 5x5 spot they can call their own.

Jay

That's right, monitor your tree and water to maintain moisture levels so you don't drown the poor thing.

Then build your dogs a little mulch area of their own. Just a little 5x5 spot they can call their own.

Jay

Latest posts

Back