Transporting gas: odors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, I didn't bring my saw down to my parents due to the fact it had to go in the trunk of my wife's car rather than the back of my truck. It's a 4 hour drive from Cleveland to my parents. My questions are:

Will the residual odor of gas from a drained saw and empty gas can leach into our luggage and clothes? Could I have left both full and driven down?

I realize that the second question, from a safety stance should have been done.

Thanks as always for the info.

Jeff

Wrap the saw in a garbage bag or two, and it will contain any gas that might leak. I wouldn't worry about draining the saw unless it leaks. The amount of gas in the saw will not matter if you get into a situation where the car is on fire. The gas can would be the tough part. There is normally gas residue all over them, and they like to leak. Does your dad have a gas can you could use once you got there? If not, maybe go to wally-world and get him a $4.95 thanksgiving present.

Yes, he actually does have a nice metal can I can use. I even labeled it "Chainsaw Gas" about 10 years ago so there wouldn't have been any confusion between mixes. Nuts, I wish I thought of the garbage bag trick. The saw doesn't leak, but the gas can probably does have the residue on it and that is what I was smelling.

Thanks,

Jeff

Just went through the same decision. Traveled 3 hours to south ohio today and took wifes car with carpeted trunk. Saws were even wrapped in trash bags, but you could still smell the klotz, so it was a no go for saws. I had to tell Begleytree he would just have to wait till next week when I drove the truck down for testing out the saws.

In my Jeep I just let the fumes work their magic on me while I drive. But in the wife's car, the saws gets drained and double-bagged in contractor bags. I'll also bring my own oil and mix up gas when I get there in a locally-sourced can. I've taken saws from MI to TN a couple times, never had a problem with gas smells.

Case

Jeffrey said:
Well, I didn't bring my saw down to my parents due to the fact it had to go in the trunk of my wife's car rather than the back of my truck. It's a 4 hour drive from Cleveland to my parents. My questions are:

Will the residual odor of gas from a drained saw and empty gas can leach into our luggage and clothes? Could I have left both full and driven down?

I realize that the second question, from a safety stance should have been done.

Thanks as always for the info.

Jeff

Get a plastic carrying case dude. The Stihl ones, and I don't know about the husky ones, seal it pretty tight. Never had a problem with the fumes in the wifes van when it's in a case. :cheers:

Just made a 20 hour drive to my farm three weeks ago with my old Mac 10-10A. Since it does leak I drained it and double bagged it. No smell in the trunk of my wifes car much less the cab. Did not try to carry gas can, just leave a can at the farm.

Pine-Sol in the washer does a great job of removing petroleum stains/odors from clothes.

Damm, now I'm all domesticated. Forget what I typed up there, just live with the odor LIKE A MAN!!!

I don't have a real problem with the odor. However, since it is my wifes car and about 95% of the clothing in the trunk is hers I don't think that telling her to wash it before she wears it would go over well. If I could just get my 1969 F350 to get 35 mpg like my wifes Accord instead of 10 mpg transportation would not be an issue.

Telling her would probably go over better than her finding out on her own...

I wouldn't dare put my chainsaw in a car trunk with my wifes clothes unless I wanted a real quick trip to the divorce lawyer!

Rent a roof carrier from Uhaul (I think they call them pouches or some stupid thing!) or buy one if you are going to do it often and it will keep your chainsaw away from the clothes in the trunk!

I guess I should count my blessings. My wife is pretty understanding. When I was cutting 150 cords a year of fire wood she was right out there with me. I was using my Promac 850 to fell and buck and she had a little Homelite 150 automatic for limbing. Made a pretty good tem. However, she still doesn't want her car or cloths to smell like two cycle mix. The double trash bag worked great. No smell at all.

Latest posts

Back