Traveling Treeman

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Okay because i'm curious if we should have a
O lets say a Hurricane,Huge ice storm ect.I had heard that when huricane Hugo demolished Charlston
in the 90's tree services from all over headed in.
were they asked in or did they just show up in anticipation of work?

Later,
David

Both, some companies will chase storms. They show up and knock on doors. Others will work out contracts. When i was in KC I'd never seen so many bucvket trucks all at once. There were out of state companies with stumpers and skidders nand several chip boxes. Large crews. Municipalites were handing out contracts for hazard reduction work to bucket operators. I spent 5 days picking big stuff off of roofs for the most part.

I'm trying to set up a network of top climbers for emergence responce. It did nopt work so well a few weeks ago, I had a list of people who had said the liked the concept, but I could not get a hold of any one on time:rolleyes:.

The guy i was working for was doing alomst nothing but running around coordinating. He'ld stop and get the one small branch senarios from time to tim, but they had a folder of single sheet work orders 2 inches thick.

JPS,

What do you provide when you go out on these jobs? Equipment wise and insurance wise? I may be available during the summer break for short periods. Would like to do a little PHC consulting, just to improve the teaching skills. Students seem to know when I am talking about something I have never done, just read about. I also enjoy the climbing and rigging. Thanks for the offer for spring break, but it is already full.

Bob

You woulda got a lot of rigging experiance and top climbing:D.

I have liability with a cert availible from my agent on request. I provide it only after the agreement is made. In some markets W/C to cover ones self would be a good seling point. Here the leagal relationship is concidered emloyer/employee if the sub has no W/C. Other states I am told this is not the case. I have a verbal agreement to not file for any minor injuries anyways. Like in KC I had a freck thing where my kneecap dislocated, so i came home to convoless after 5 days of work.:( W/C fo me has been price at aroun 5.5k/annum, sole employee.

IRS Form W-9 so I get a 1099 in the following feburary.

My own climbing gear, basic rigging gear including PW-III and block. lotsa slings and 'biners, My own chainsaw, though I don't know if I would take that if i flew out, maybe Fedex it 2 day or something.

I have acssess to a GRCS (I do work for Greg Good), so I can show and sell one or rent it out.

Fees are on a per day basis, with billing at end of week. If I am there more then one week I have it mailed home.

Usualy I provide my own transport, lodging and food. Many tree people have put me up though. (they are so cool!)

So far everything has been on verbal agreement, I've only worked with companies where we have had mutual aquaintances.

I know some good tree companies arund here with true PHC programs, if you want to look into something. You cna work on a one month temporary license in WI. Requires supervision without testing. Do one month in one state then work out something in another region maybe (TCOT in Chicogoland?)

Last edited:
JPS, I will bite as well. I can be on call after I think the 24th of May. I bring with me basic climbing gear, a few blocks, PWIII, few chain saws, etc. I have my own liability insurance. I don't like to drink. Will climb for removals mostly. Fees are like JPS'. Anything else just give me a holler.

hey john, call me if you need me! ill be there, like i said before, i just need to know that work is definate. what do you need! ill bring it!...bucket, skidloader, dumptruck, playstation 2, dump trailer, trailers, chipper.....:D

Playstation! Your at the top buddy!:D.

Storm work and buckets go hand in hand so that is a good thing. How far are you willing to drive it? Drop me an e-mail.

JPS,
Other than the occasional call, I haven't climbed in a year and a half. So I no longer have insurance or a lot of equipment. But I have a climbing saw, gear and a couple ropes. I also have quite a bit of storm damage experience, although nothing dealing with ice or snow. Drop me a note and let me know when I can give you a call or something. I'm gettin' hungry and would love to put a few bucks in the bank for a couple weeks worth of work.

As for the alcohol thing, I don't believe I will drink today. And if I continue doing what I'm doing, I probably won't drink tomorrow either. :angel:

brian, i need your info again too, we are switching from att to mediacom up here and they have it all screwed up. lost all my mail and adress book, gotta start all over.

Easy does it! On day at a time.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I can have a beer or two now and then, just don't like getting drunk any more. It's part of the military culture, and not too uncomon here in the Milwaukee area. (WAA convention has a free happyhour that goes like three hours long:rolleyes:).

Hows the body getting along these days?

The body is none the worse for wear, although I'm out of condition for sure. But like my grandfather used to say,
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!"

Scott, you can email me by clicking on the button under one of my posts. :D Thought you forgot about that $20!

I'm available for work. Give a holler, whenever, wherever.

Back