Tree Bending???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweaker214

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a strange question. I have recently moved to Virginia and bought a home. I have been seeing something that I have never seen before. Keep in mind that we have experienced a massive drought for the past three years.
I have seen many trees on my property and in the area that have begun to bend over to the ground in one increasing radius. They don't touch the ground, but almost. They also don't snap in half or pull their stumps out of the ground.
The soil here is a very crappy clay-like consistency. I can check the tree species, but the most common out here are poplar and pine. It is one of the two. I think usually poplar. At the height of the drought this last fall, 5 trees in a 20 foot circle are all falling over!
1-What is the cause of this?
2- Can I stop it or repair the damage?
3- Should I cut them down because they are dead or soon will be?
The forest is really strange looking with half of the trees at various 45 degree angles!!!
Thanks for the help.

Is this a new home? If it's a recently cleared area, these trees were probably growing in a dense area surrounded by other trees. That makes them grow tall and thin to compete for the light and when other trees are cleared around them they don't have the strength to supprt themselves because they were protected before.
If they haven't stood back up by now I'd cut them down.

And small trees cut at the base will sprout back up so that you can "start over" with them. Severl sprouts can grow and you can trim them back to the best one of the bunch. A common nursery practice.

Latest posts

Back