Tree business without a climber?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do believe this will be my last visit to this site, what an embarrassing display.
Seriously, don't you all have some trees to go and climb like the heroes you all think you are ?
I cannot imagine why not !
BTW I own 3 saws, one I call 'fast as tarnations', as in,
"go and get me 'fast as tarnations' for this tree Jasper".
Its a right purdy shade of green and purple, and the others two I call 'kinda dull but still gettin 'er dun'.

I do believe this will be my last visit to this site, what an embarrassing display.
Seriously, don't you all have some trees to go and climb like the heroes you all think you are ?
I cannot imagine why not !
BTW I own 3 saws, one I call 'fast as tarnations', as in,
"go and get me 'fast as tarnations' for this tree Jasper".
Its a right purdy shade of green and purple, and the others two I call 'kinda dull but still gettin 'er dun'.

Well with 2 whole posts I'm sure your contributions will be sorely missed...

Well, I am in the boat that you are describing somewhat. I got laid off from the oilfield a couple of months ago. Previous to that, I worked the ground for my brother, who is somewhat, but not highly experienced in tree removals. He got into removals after running a "Lawn Jockey" service, and getting repeated requests for tree care and removals. But it turns out that he is very good at certain aspects of running a tree removal business. And it helps that he is intensely curious, and loves to know everything about trees and wood, etc. He climbs, and I throw stuff in the truck like I'm mad at it. We're the guys that these real experienced guys hate.

We work great together, and we make a little money, but I will tell you that this is a ##### of a game to get into if you are not 100% committed. For instance, my bro climbs--but not like some of these guys climb! There's some insane climbers around!

From what I have seen, if I could not climb, I would hire a climber over renting or buying a bucket truck. Climbers can do stuff that bucket trucks can't do. I would definitely invest in a chipper. We don't have one, and running out to the compost facility all the time is taking a bite out of us.

If you try to do it all with a bucket truck, you're going to have to cherry-pick (get it?) your jobs. And when you're just starting out, it is not possible to turn away work. You need all the jobs you can get for word of mouth, and to pay for advertising, and misc expenses.

Anyway, I made my short story too long. I think you better do a little more research before you jump into this business. Certainly, any knowledge of tree care that you have will put you ahead of some gump with none. But after working this for a month now, I'm of the mindset that you either have to be hot or cold to be in the tree business. Lukewarm, and you'll get spat out.

But after working this for a month now, I'm of the mindset that you either have to be hot or cold to be in the tree business. Lukewarm, and you'll get spat out.

It isn't a profession that you can find a lot of success in if your only part time. You will either miss out on a lot of money because you can't do certain jobs )or do them efficiently) or you will go broke trying to pay for the equipment you are only utilizing part time.

Believe me I tried part time.........let's just say I'm very full time now.

Well, I am in the boat that you are describing somewhat. I got laid off from the oilfield a couple of months ago. Previous to that, I worked the ground for my brother, who is somewhat, but not highly experienced in tree removals. He got into removals after running a "Lawn Jockey" service, and getting repeated requests for tree care and removals. But it turns out that he is very good at certain aspects of running a tree removal business. And it helps that he is intensely curious, and loves to know everything about trees and wood, etc. He climbs, and I throw stuff in the truck like I'm mad at it. We're the guys that these real experienced guys hate.

We work great together, and we make a little money, but I will tell you that this is a ##### of a game to get into if you are not 100% committed. For instance, my bro climbs--but not like some of these guys climb! There's some insane climbers around!

From what I have seen, if I could not climb, I would hire a climber over renting or buying a bucket truck. Climbers can do stuff that bucket trucks can't do. I would definitely invest in a chipper. We don't have one, and running out to the compost facility all the time is taking a bite out of us.

If you try to do it all with a bucket truck, you're going to have to cherry-pick (get it?) your jobs. And when you're just starting out, it is not possible to turn away work. You need all the jobs you can get for word of mouth, and to pay for advertising, and misc expenses.

Anyway, I made my short story too long. I think you better do a little more research before you jump into this business. Certainly, any knowledge of tree care that you have will put you ahead of some gump with none. But after working this for a month now, I'm of the mindset that you either have to be hot or cold to be in the tree business. Lukewarm, and you'll get spat out.

I've gotta agree with you happy trees, except a bucket truck you can just fly through the jobs, I love climbing but if you wanta make money, trimming by climbing sure as hell ain't the way to go. Even my old boss would pull in one of his buckets to trim or even take downs and tops if the truck could reach it. its like mowing a half acre with a push mower and you've got five more of those lined up for the day. you can do it but for around $180 to $200 a tree if you can get 4 or 5 in a day and be worn out not wanting to do nothing tommarrow or 7 or 8 in 3/4 a day and be up at 5:00 am the next its worth the bucket. and iknow they can be expensive im looking into one now but My old boss had like a $25000 to $35000 dollar bucket truck on payments and i was there when he drove to txas from cali to pick a 45' diesal for $8000 and drove it 1800 miles back. I know these guys sound harsh, but their really helpful. and they go outta their way to make sure you do the thing they've known their whole life, safe and right. ya sometimes they forget their on arborist 101. but they helped me find the right rope and gave me alot of good advice. I havent had no tree work but I do super multi tasking like somone said ealier, mines Dave's Tree and Lawn Care / Building Maintenance. I just started out on my own 3 months ago and I've got more building maintenance then anything but its paying for my equipment slowly. lucky i've got a good missus with a damn good job to support us while I getmy business off the ground. any Its possible and on real low budget to start with. but I wouldn't start with just trees, I'd start with lawn care and landscaping at least too. and if you get a tree job if its just an easy pruniing trimming ect. do it. but if it's something difficult either find a climber or just make a good arborist associate and give it to him and he might return the favor. I'm tellin ya it possible to make alot of money but I've never worked so hard in all my life and I did helichopper logging, wood cutting business (bringing in 3 cord a day split by myself). tree hacking for a utility company, service tech for an auto dealer ship, construction, landscaping and room maintenance for best western ect,you name and have probably done it a couple years, but it's now where near as complicated as this business and painstakenling long hrs. theres ins. business licenence, commercial regestraion for vehicles and trailors, oh and advertising s**t, these search enginens and spiders suck. then finding stuff you need for jobs. man its never ending. but its worth it when things start to slow up and the fruits of your work start to pay. plus to sit back and actually look at a lawn well down, a tree you turned into a picasso or someones messed up repair work you fixed it's nice to say i did that and it looks good.stick with it and you might just find your self 3 climbers two buckets, a chipper, 10 saws, a stump grinder, doing a utility company for 10 grand a month, and running your own private show climbing your big a** up a hundred feet every day and lovin it. sorry so long, ain't posted in about a month. been to busy! I lucked into a building maintence job for 13 restaurants. but just to let every one know if you advertise through search engines and use part of your name in your link to here it pops up on the web under the first page sometimes. I hade a customer tell me he seen myweb site ad and right above it popped up a ? id submitted here on flip lines / safety lanyards. good thing it was a job for a yard and not tree work. theres always someone who does a better job and the customer is looking for that someone but cheaper. lol'. you know I never got a answer for the flip line. how do you tie the flip line with rope to where its adjustable, as I said before mine was always set up. and I've used the adj lever on rope and cable core but I was wonderining how to find the set up for the knot work on just using a rope flip line? does anyone know or have you all went Y2k over the last 10 year. LOL I'm just havin some fun no need to get butt hurt any one. serious about the knots though!

Last edited:
Oh and i forgot chippers are some times over rated depending on where your at here in tennessee its a waist of money they haul limbs, trees, stumps, couches, garbage you name it, from right in front of your house for free!!!! gotta love the good ole volunteer state! but in ohio where I think the original post was from definately a chipper. they don't even hardly pemit you to burn up north, (damn yanks) just kidden i'm origanally from cali and I don't know which one is worst on laws and :censored: I'm glad I found this site, what the heck would a lawn site talk about PLANTING TULIPS? :greenchainsaw: and I do lawns, but I'm like happy trees brother I love wood! and climbing and:chainsaw: are the best!

Back