Tree Butchery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Plant Amnesty has an ugly yard photo contest. This will be a good one.

I haven't been by lately, but I think the trees are now down. Perhaps the homeowner was doing the trees, spikeless, thus the stubs.

I am just curious... how tall would you say those trees are, rough abouts? Really nothing like that out here.

Or, like the old sherril sticker,
"If birds had chain saw feet.....

treeman, 85-110 feet.

I was in a 140 foot fir recently, just a baby. Only a 3 foot butt, it was forced to grow tall by the two topped ones right next to it. have done lots of 120 plus ones lately. There are few residential trees here over 150 feet, but give us 20 more years- if the loggers and developers dont get em all, there will be more pushing 200 feet.

More fun was today's pruning of a 80 foot wide by 60 foot tall bigleaf maple. Gotta go back for more after shots, as the battery died. It needed a lot of end weight pruning and some extra reduction on leggy, brittle branches that had some breakout, decay and poor compartmentalization. So, to some here, it might look a bit overpruned, but it isn't. It was open in the center already anyhow. We produced about four yards of chips, not much.

dont feel too bad about doing too much on your oak. It was not a mature tree, so it should be fine. Just take less of the center out next time. Dead, diseased, dying, crossing is all, plus fine pruning out near the ends if needed-1/4 to 1 inch cuts.

Here's a before shot, sorry about the overhead lines:
Rog

And after about 10 manhours in the tree, it doesnt look a lot different from this angle:

John removing an anthractnose infected pacific dogwood, exposing a bare spot in maple. ian has been in maple for a while. i'm being the gman and pic snapper.....

treeman,

that was a pacific dogwood. largest in Wa. is 11 feet in circumference, 80 feet tall with a 55 foot crown spread. But there's also a 98 foot tall bitter cherry and a 79 foot crabapple. Besides a lot of the nat'l champs. Such as the co champ american chesnuts, one 19'7" in circ, 106 feet tall, 101 feet wide, the other 20' 7" circ, 87 tall, 109 wide. A blight killed most chesnuts in the US in the 20's and 30's. These are the two largest in the world, and they are bigger now, as they were last measured in 1993.

I'm told chestnuy blight has not crossed the rockies yet. see a few isolated stands around here.

very little grows near that tall out here. Winds too high and dry spells get too long.

Latest posts

Back