Tree Climbing Gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdzimmermann

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good source for information on tree climbing gear. I'm interested in books, websites, gear suppliers, etc. I'm a homeowner with some mature hardwood trees that need periodic maintenance. Am I in over my head ?

You may be in over your head. Especially if saving money is your motivation in doing it yourself. If you are a tree freak like many here, you may find the work rewarding.

It is not a way to save money. Big emphasis there.

The Tree Climber's Companion is a good book to start with. Books and proper pruning techniques are important as well. You want to be helping the trees right??

Click on the banner above. It has links to equipment, books, and even training classes.

I would recommend trying to work with a local arborist. Watching someone do the work can be worth hours of reading about it.

I can't say this enough, SAFETY FIRST.

Thanks TreeTX. I guess my rationale for doing it myself is two-fold.

One reason, I admit, is financial. I currently pay our local tree service $400 every 3 years to "clean up" the property. I figure, with the proper education, I can invest in climbing gear and have it payed for in the near future.

The second reason is that I have a wood-burner that eats up a loot of wood each winter. With only 3.5 acres of mature trees (hickory, oak, walnut, elm, maple, ash), I really don't want to cut down too many live trees, but supplement with hanging "dead-wood".

P.S.: I like your icon logo!

If your out $400 every three years, it'll take several years before you actually see the savings. You don't really need a lot to get started, but the cost of gear still adds up quickly.

I make it a point not to ever sit down and figure up what I have spent in climbing gear. If I did, I could no longer plead ignorance, and would probably have to add the cost of a divorce to the total bill. :(

Louie Hampton

I was going to sit down and list my gear to get it under my insurance for theft. I was cringing with each item,
6 aluminum Kong Pear carabiners $90
Saddle $250
Lanyard assembly $125
Climbing line w/ splice $130

Standing at the top of a 90 ft ash looking out over the city....

Priceless

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going to start out with the "Tree Climbers Companion" (just purchased a copy), and go from there ...

When I train climbers they start out on the ground using a handsaw to limb brush. Depending on their skills, they might take different times before they get to use a chainsaw on the ground. Then they move into smaller trees, still using a handsaw. When I can see that every handsaw cut branch goes the way it's supposed to, they get to use the chainsaw on larger and larger trees.

Do yourself, and your family, a favor. Learn by little steps. Start out getting used to climbing and moving in the tree. When things become natural, then start to use the handsaw.

Unless you have a skilled trainer, you shouldn't consider using a chainsaw in the tree unless you consider these two words:

Widow and Orphans...

There are many trained tree climbers that get killed or seriously injured every year.

If you want to save money, have the trees cut and you do the entire cleanup.

Maybe your tree company would allow you to work as a groundie, for free, in order to observe and learn climbing. consider it an apprenticeship. It would be time worth investing.

Tom

Every good climber I know has spent his share of time dragging brush underneath a more accomplished climber.....

The problem is, how does someone without knowledge, find a climber who is a good source to learn from? If the teacher only knows 5% of what is needed to be what we might consider a journeyman climber, the apprentice will not be well served learning from them.

Tom

Latest posts

Back