Tree damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoonyOne

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a mature Box Elder tree that has split at about 5' up from the ground. The split limb is a large one (about 18") and is resting against another Box Elder about 15' away. It is obvious that the tree is stressed, as it is growing shoots directly upward from the limb. However, it appears to be relatively healthy otherwise. The split is about 3" at the most open point, and about 12" or so long.

Question 1) Can it harm the other tree enough to warrant cutting it off?

Question 2) Can the rest of the tree be allowed to stand, or should I cut it completely down?

I ask these questions as the tree poses no apparent safety threat, or at least no more threat than any other tree. The limb has off-limbs that appear to 'cradle' it into the other tree. We've had some pretty strong winds come up over the last year and a half (since it happened) that have not negatively affected it. I know that Box Elder trees are basically 'junk trees', but it is fully mature and does give some pretty good shade...and would continue to do so if the rest of the tree was left standing. If cut down, I would most likely consider a hardwood replacement but don't know really what would go there.

Tom

I agree that Boxelder (Acer negundo) is not the most desirable species, but if you in love with it and want to keep it.....post some pics so we can see whats going on. Its tough to give a recomendation without seeing the tree.

Latest posts

Back