(tree)death or discumfort?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therealdibbs

Reaction score
I purchased some Emerald Arborvitaes last year from Lowes and the trees this spring are starting to brown quickly. I've already lost one of them and it looks like the others are possibly heading the same direction. What should i be looking for and what could i have done wrong in the planting process?

Can you post a photo?
How big are they? What size pots were they in? Were they root bound?
If they are turning brown, they are most likely dead.
I planted some someone gave me several years ago (off the back of his truck) and they looked good when I planted them. Next spring they turned brown one by one and died. They can hold the green color for quite some time.
I used to work at a nursery and arbs were one of many plant types we grew and sold.

I would say that being rootbound is not a problem in this situation, that would be a longer term situation. Did they get enough water last summer? These guys are highly susceptible to drought stress when they are getting established. Watering needs to be done 1/week for 4-5 hours at a time. You need water to get to the bottom of the root ball. Most sprinkler systems aren't on long enough.

If you dig up soil after the sprinkler system, you will probably find the soil is only wet for the top 2" or so. You need to get water down 6-8".

The other issue would be root disease, particularly armillaria. However, given thy have only been in the ground for less than a year, I would doubt this is the problem. You can check by scraping the bark off at ground level of the dead tree. If there is a white mat (fungal mycelium), they you have root disease in the soil. If you have this, then you need to keep the soil damp but not soaking. Bit of a challenge when determining how much water.

It is possible the roots froze last winter. Did you get a really hard freeze? If this is a possible problem, then putting a layer of organic mulch over the root zone would provide insulation. Mulch is also beneficial for soil moisture retention.

I would say that being rootbound is not a problem in this situation, that would be a longer term situation. Did they get enough water last summer? These guys are highly susceptible to drought stress when they are getting established. Watering needs to be done 1/week for 4-5 hours at a time. You need water to get to the bottom of the root ball. Most sprinkler systems aren't on long enough.

If you dig up soil after the sprinkler system, you will probably find the soil is only wet for the top 2" or so. You need to get water down 6-8".

The other issue would be root disease, particularly armillaria. However, given thy have only been in the ground for less than a year, I would doubt this is the problem. You can check by scraping the bark off at ground level of the dead tree. If there is a white mat (fungal mycelium), they you have root disease in the soil. If you have this, then you need to keep the soil damp but not soaking. Bit of a challenge when determining how much water.

It is possible the roots froze last winter. Did you get a really hard freeze? If this is a possible problem, then putting a layer of organic mulch over the root zone would provide insulation. Mulch is also beneficial for soil moisture retention.
Good point on the watering... I didn't think of that possibility.
About three years ago I bought four six foot pyramidal arbs for a wind block on my back porch. Pretty big root balls, a lot of digging with a shovel. I made sure they got plenty of water since I didn't want to lose them after all that work. If I recall, my water bill more than doubled for a few months. Kept them watered well the next summer, too. I also planted mine in the late fall.
Luckily, they are doing well now and almost up to the bottom edge of the roof.
arbs2.jpg

Good point on the watering... I didn't think of that possibility.
About three years ago I bought four six foot pyramidal arbs for a wind block on my back porch. Pretty big root balls, a lot of digging with a shovel. I made sure they got plenty of water since I didn't want to lose them after all that work. If I recall, my water bill more than doubled for a few months. Kept them watered well the next summer, too. I also planted mine in the late fall.
Luckily, they are doing well now and almost up to the bottom edge of the roof.
View attachment 507087[/QUOTE

TNTreeHugger
The only thing I would like to know is what is a water bill! Not sure I understand what that means. Esp. doubled?

Latest posts

Back