Tree Fertilizer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Bob Wulkowicz
And here I thought they were based on absent science, imperial data, and observations often in need of an antidote...

Bob Wulkowicz

Well, sometimes I do
follow you
and make it up
as I go

Is there an antidote for caffine?

Hi, my name is John and I'm a Pepsi addict.

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to this.... Spent the weekend driving and visiting the greatest place for a race- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Oh, I watched the race from the turn 2 infield too...:D

Anyway, back to the thread...

Dan, is there evedence that having a fast growth rate in a young tree is bad? Can you think of a reason, even without research, that inducing a tree into a fast growth pattern at some point in it's life might be bad?

A fast growth rate on a young tree won't be bad. I can't fault the nurseries for wanting to make money faster. Heck, I'm probably going to do the same in a few years too. But inducing a tree to grow fast later in it's life, when it is close to or is a mature size. I don't know if there have been studies done or anything like that, but wouldn't that potentially cause the new wood to be weaker? In my mind, and I could be wrong (I'll admit it), with a faster growth rate, the wood will be weaker. Shoot me down with some studies, if you can, 'cause I can't back it up with any.... If it doesn't cause the new wood to be weaker, won't it cause a lot of new growth that potentially can't be carried by older (perhaps wounded) wood if and when the leaves are soaked with rain and the wind is blowing?

Now back to your original post...
Current thinking is not to add more than about 1 lb of Nitrogen per 1000 sq. ft. At this low level you should not run into the problems JPS mentioned.

1 pound per 1000 square feet is a "low level"? For trees?:confused: Since when? That's an almost high rate for
TURF! See what Bob U. said about forest trees....

Dan

As I've expressed at probably 2 locations in my own site, my general feelings are to avoid fertilizing trees.

Usually, I boost my own little trees to get them away from the dogs and kids, then back off quick.

In our area, the majority of winter damage from wind, and rain and snow on trees, is on the ones belonging to fertilizing programs offered by "chem" services.

The leaves are bigger, and the branches are longer (leverage).

Also, the natural form becomes distorted.

Usually the best trees overall, are the ones that are unfertilized, but in undamaged soil.

One small reason for fertilizing, and it wouldn't exactly be for the tree alone - but if there is organic matter around the tree like bark that it not decomposed, then addition of nitrogen can be helpful for the microorganisms that are taking a toll on the nitrogen supply in the area.

Plant have to have nitrogen. Its one of either 12 (or 13) absolutes that are bare neccessities for plant life.

So when something like bark, or partially decayed compost is applied onto, or into the soil, that can be a reason for applying a strict nitrogen or NPK fertilizer.
Addition of nitrogen would

Back