Tree ID- pecan or black walut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The leaves are very similar and the tree was dormant so I could not really find any of the fruit except for a half rotten one, which I am assuming is a pecan. It definitely did not look like a round green walnut from a juglans californica.

I just wanted to be 100% certain that it is not a black walnut because they are protected in LA. 1100 potatoes just for a permit here to remove one! And who knows if they will even accept it though the tree appears to have been hacked by 50% a few years ago.

My vote

Based on the fruit-- Pecan

the bark looks like pecan too.

It's not fun splitting it by hand, but does make good firewood and even better cooking wood-

I

Black Walnuts protected out there? Why? Are they rare there? They grow like weeds here.

I wonder if there is a big market for those out there? We have
them everywhere! Jeff I could send a semi your way!

Pecan is actually a species of Hickory. Great for smoking. A little milder than Hickory.

Sounds delicious, MD. Do you guys get much Pecan or (Pacon) around OK? Exceedingly rare here. Tangential question...are vertical smokers or sidesmoke box units better? Just personal preference?

Sounds delicious, MD. Do you guys get much Pecan or (Pacon) around OK? Exceedingly rare here. Tangential question...are vertical smokers or sidesmoke box units better? Just personal preference?

They are very common here. Many old home places with Pecan groves and commercial groves are common. We have a farm right up the road from me that has a mechanical sheller where a lot of locals take their Pecans to be cracked. They actually crack them, not shell them. You have to shell them yourself. There are Pecans and honey sold on the roadside all around here.

There used to be a lot of Pecan trees in the Southeast from what I gather. I vaguely remember my grandfather telling me about a blight or something that killed off most of them. Not sure exactly what the deal was but I know a lot of trees disappeared. One of my tree books says that pecans were originally most prevalent in the Mississippi river bottoms. They will grow in sheltered places on uplands as far North as Massachusetts but rarely bare fruit in the North.

On the smokers: Most of the experienced smokers that I know around here use elaborate smokers that they fabricate themselves made with a side chamber to keep the flame away from the meat. However, I seem to do OK with my upright Brinkman.

Last edited:
If black walnut is protected anywhere, it is probably an old law that was enacted to give the cops a reason to pursue the tree thieves. 20-30 years ago, walnut trees were highly valued for their veneer, and it was rather common for people to come home from vacation to discover that someone had stolen their tree.

I used to have a (former) tree thief working for me as a climber. He would drive down the road, periodically pointing out where he had stolen a walnut tree in our urban area. Quite frankly, I can't understand how you would pull it off, but he did.

Walnut trees now are not worth hauling to the mill.

If black walnut is protected anywhere, it is probably an old law that was enacted to give the cops a reason to pursue the tree thieves. 20-30 years ago, walnut trees were highly valued for their veneer, and it was rather common for people to come home from vacation to discover that someone had stolen their tree.

I used to have a (former) tree thief working for me as a climber. He would drive down the road, periodically pointing out where he had stolen a walnut tree in our urban area. Quite frankly, I can't understand how you would pull it off, but he did.

Walnut trees now are not worth hauling to the mill.

This is really interesting - I've never heard of "tree thieves".

Why is it that black walnut is no longer as valuable - is it just out of fashion?
I think it is an excellent wood for furniture etc. - it's really hard and looks great... (???)

Latest posts

Back